veg oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonupteabag
My Cars:

veg oil

Post by tonupteabag »

i could do with some advice on running veg oil whats the best way wvo or svo what needs to be done and how. i've checked up on the pump side of it and mine is fitted with the bosch pump (mk1 xantia td 1995) this seems to be the prefered pump:?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Depends on how much effort you want to excert and how little you want to pay.

Either way, somethings you should do before you start:
1. Lift up the back seat on the driver's side and pop off the black circular cover. Get some suitable jubilee clips, and some cable ties, then remove the pipes. Fit a cable tie to each pipe to help stop it sliding down the side of the fuel tank out of reach. Unscrew the ridged plastic ring and pull out the fuel sender. Clean any gunk off the mesh filter. Refit everything using the jubilee clips to secure the pipes back on.
2. Check the leakoff pipes between the injectors, if they're hard and not flexible they should be replaced.
3. Get a spare fuel filter.

Now, the easiest way is just to buy vegetable oil and pour it into the fuel tank.
That's it.
I run my diesels on 100% veg.
They prefer it to derv.

If you have the space, time and a free source, you can use waste veg.
Filter it, wait, filter some more, boil it, filter it, wait a bit, then pour it in your tank (ok I exagerate, some people just filter, it all depends on how long you want your car to last).

After about 500 miles on veg, check your fuel filter, if it's golden, replace it, if not, replace it in another 500 miles.
If your car stops running and you're using wvo, chances are your fuel filter is blocked. Swap it with the spare one you've kept in the boot.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

nice one xac i don't really want to much outlay and i really don't want bloody great drums of wvo sat about filtering for ages just to get the c@@p out so it looks like svo is the way to go is there any preference in which oil as some people talk about corn oil and rape oil does it really matter?
the thought of pouring oil in the tank is a bit daunting but i suppose after the first one its like pouring in diesel out of a jerry can except bloody cheaper :D
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I use KTC vegetable oil from costco as it's the cheapest I can get hold of.
Rapeseed is good, corn oil apparently makes your car smell of popcorn :)

DIY sphere tool
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

don't you have to be a registered business to purchase from the likes of bookers as we don't have a costco down here so i'm stuck with bookers
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

unfortunately yes, but many people know someone with a card.
tesco veg is still cheaper than derv and easier to pour into the tank than ktc's container

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:unfortunately yes, but many people know someone with a card.
tesco veg is still cheaper than derv and easier to pour into the tank than ktc's container
Xac how much cheaper is veg compared with diesel?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Xac, do you have any problems with cold starting on SVO?

I used to run my Land Rover on waste oil from a couple of places I delivered to, until they started charging me for it. After sorting out the filtration - you wouldn't believe how quick a fuel filter will block up - it worked quite well but was reluctant to start in freezing conditions, but then, aren't we all.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well as Cassy's been off the road waiting for her MoT, I've not looked recently at the price of veg from costco.
Last time I was there it was around the 70ppl mark, with Derv at 110ish (or 120ish for v-power)

Starting on a really cold day is fine, although she hunts if I just start and let her idle.
If there's ice on the roads I'll add some diesel, no need to mix with anything other than diesel.

Just had a quick check online, Asda do 3ltr bottles for 86ppl (although they're doing 2 for £2.50), the AA said in march the average diesel price was 117ppl.
So that's a saving of 31ppl, or just over £20 for every 65L tank.

DIY sphere tool
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I've got 28,000 miles notched up on my 405 on WVO at 10ppl :D

The XUD is a great engine for it. They will run on high concentrations without modification, however some cheap simple things I would do:

Remove the Peugeot/Citroen fuel filter housing. It's notorious for letting in air, which will reduce economy, power and make it feel reluctant at higher rpm. I've got a Delphi sandwich type filter housing instead. The elements are bigger, better flowing, easier to change and cheaper (about £2.50 each). Best of all, no air gets in.

Fit a coolant fed flat plate heat exchanger before the fuel filter. This will not only heat the oil to make it thinner, but ensure that your filter doesn't wax up in colder weather. It also means hot oil gets sent back to the tank via the return line, ensuring that gunk doesn't build up.

Go for more frequent oil changes, most veggers opt for every 3,000 miles.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I filled up my estate today @ 117.9 ppl cost = £81 :shock: at that price I can see why cheaper alternatives are sought.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:I filled up my estate today @ 117.9 ppl cost = £81 :shock: at that price I can see why cheaper alternatives are sought.
That's why despite doing two or three fewer miles per gal, the 1.9TD is more economical than the HDi

Talking of filters, don't ever use the open bottom type.

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:That's why despite doing two or three fewer miles per gal, the 1.9TD is more economical than the HDi
Comparing the same driver (me :lol: ) driving a TD hatch and a HDi estate the HDi does about seven mpg more and the HDi does have a lot more go with less gear changing, it can even pull out of a side road in second gear without the fear of being rear ended!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Is the Delphi sandwich housing like the old Lucas item used on Land Rovers, as I've ot a couple of those lying about.
I'm going to pop into our local Chinese and pakistani cash and carrys tomorrow, see what their prices are like.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

well i bit the bullet and dropped 18ltr of svo in now we wait for the fuel filter check :)
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"