What to check before buying a Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rgod

What to check before buying a Xantia

Post by Rgod »

Hiii

I am planning to buy a Xantia(99-95)soon,i dont the car,how is it ?what are the main pronlems of the car,what to look for before buying it ?what is the normal temp of the car when working ?(when the fans should go on ?).

I have a BX 89(1.6 116 HP ).
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Can I have your BX? :P
French is best.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Petrol or diesel?
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Do the same kind of checks you would on the BX, also pay special attention to the strut tops!
Operating temp seems to be between 70~90, fans kick in at 100 I think, or on low when AC is on. with the mk2 xantia the AC will be on when the direction slider is set to screen defrost.

If your looking at a VSX/Exclusive the car will have Hydractive 2 suspension, with the soft/hard mode switch, with the car running normally and the system working correctly the suspension should be in soft mode, this will be softer than a standard Xantia ride, if the ride is hard its likely the ride is stuck in hard mode, or duff spheres. There is a way to tell weather the car is trying to go into soft mode, listening for a click and soft buzzing noise, but I've never managed to 'hear' these sounds myself, hopefully someone will be along soon with more advise on this subject.

Cant think of anything else that you would not be aware of already as a BX owner.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

One difference from a BX to pay attention to is that all except very early Xantia's are non-sinkers: you can check the state of the anti-sink sphere after the engines been running by putting some weight in the back (sit on the boot floor in an estate). The suspension will go down (unless the rear suspension spheres are shot!), then after about 20 seconds, it should rise back up again. If not, the anti-sink sphere needs replacing - pretty easy but makes a good bargaining point.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:There is a way to tell weather the car is trying to go into soft mode, listening for a click and soft buzzing noise, but I've never managed to 'hear' these sounds myself, hopefully someone will be along soon with more advise on this subject.

This click you hear when you open the doors after they've been shut for over 30 seconds (engine off).

They won't click if the one of the electrovalves is knackered or getting no power feed, if one doesn't work they all turn off - when they're 'off' the car is in hard mode. To check they work, have the engine off, and when outside of the car, close the doors and you should hear a buzzing, if you wait 30 seconds after shutting the door, you should hear the buzzing stop. If you're not sure, wait at least 30 seconds, then open one door, and approximately 0.5-1 second after you should hear quite an audible click followed by buzzing, if you then shut the door it'll continue buzzing for 30 seconds.

Bear in mind this is only on Hydractive cars - VSX/Exclusive/Activa spec, none of this is relevant on an LX or SX spec car. I'm not sure if it's relevant on all the funny named models, dimension/desire/temptation/athena, etc. Anyone have any ideas about that??
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Old-Guy wrote:One difference from a BX to pay attention to is that all except very early Xantia's are non-sinkers: you can check the state of the anti-sink sphere after the engines been running by putting some weight in the back (sit on the boot floor in an estate). The suspension will go down (unless the rear suspension spheres are shot!), then after about 20 seconds, it should rise back up again. If not, the anti-sink sphere needs replacing - pretty easy but makes a good bargaining point.
Surely that would be testing the accumulator sphere and not the anti sink sphere.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Rgod

Post by Rgod »

its a petrol one ,there is one 99(140KM) and a 95.

whats else should i check?the important thing that i want to check that their is no bobles in the rad(head gasket)is OK.

What are the usual problems that they have ?
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

140,000 Kilometers isn't high mileage , even for a petrol !!
Mine has 264,000 KM and is still going fine !!

If the car has been maintained well problems ,if any, are likely to related to the suspension. Check that the ride quality is good , a hard ride indicates a problem. Raise and lower the suspension a few times , it should be fairly quick to respond. Check for any LHM fluid leaks around the pump , LHM reservoir etc.

Check all the electrics work , windows , sunroof etc. Check the remote locking and alarm works.

Check the ABS is working ok , a common scam is to remove the ABS warning light if there is a fault. The ABS light should light when the engine is started , stay on a few seconds then go out. If there is no ABS light someone has removed the bulb to hide a fault.
Do the same for the engine ECU light.

I'm not that familiar with the petrol engines so I'll leave comments on that to others , however , check the gearbox selects gears without difficulty or notchiness and that the clutch has a light feel with a biting point near the bottom to middle of travel. Stiffness with the bite at the top of the pedal means a new clutch soon !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Later cars are slightly more foolproof; they tidied wiring harnesses and improved the strut tops.
Rgod

Post by Rgod »

what is the fuel consumption of fuel in a 2 LITRE XANTIA ?and a 1.8?Petrol,and the 1.9 TD thanks .

My BX does 6.5 KM for 1 LITRE LOL:)(i hope that the xantia is better hh).

thanks
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Real world figures for city driving in my auto Xantia estate (two litre) are not stellar. A light foot would make some difference.

Removing exhaust restrictions and keeping the oxygen sensor in good trim, will also help.
Rgod

Post by Rgod »

I found a XATNIA 99 -268000KM,2 litre,the hidraulic system is new he changed it ,and the timing also,i asked about the fuel,he said in the cuty she does 1litre-for 10 KM ,and out the city 1L-13 KM ,is that real?

I also heard that they have auto gear problems ?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Rgod wrote:what is the fuel consumption of fuel in a 2 LITRE XANTIA ?and a 1.8?Petrol,and the 1.9 TD thanks .

My BX does 6.5 KM for 1 LITRE LOL:)(i hope that the xantia is better hh).

thanks
Cant work it out in litres but you should get 30% better with diesel in normal driving and probably 50% with gentle driving.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Rgod wrote:I found a XATNIA 99 -268000KM,2 litre,the hidraulic system is new he changed it ,and the timing also,i asked about the fuel,he said in the cuty she does 1litre-for 10 KM ,and out the city 1L-13 KM ,is that real?

I also heard that they have auto gear problems ?
Those figures seem quite plausible. I get between 6.75 and 11.3 miles per litre in my C5 diesel, which is exactly the same as the 2L Accord petrol that preceded it.