C5 Buying Advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oxtailsoup

C5 Buying Advice

Post by oxtailsoup »

Hello all! Just joined this forum as I am looking to purchase a C5 Estate.

I am viewing one this evening. It is a 2002 HDI (110) SX estate with 95k miles and full service history (one owner).

Are there any problems I should be looking for in particular on this model?

Thanks
zilly

Post by zilly »

FSH at 95k.................well it is worth checking if the cambelt has been changed as it is due at 100k.

It is also worthwhile changing the water pump at the same time as it is driven from the cambelt and is likely to pack up with the new cambelt fitted.

So there's a few hundred quids worth of work if it hasn't been done and you should haggle accordingly!

Check that the trip computer control works - it's a pushbutton on the end of the right hand stalk switch. If it's broken it can be fixed but a new switch unit from Citroen is circa £300. If you don't want the trip computer then it doesn't matter. Assuming it works then toggle through to the "check control" dislay and see if any messages appear.....

Check the aircon blows cold on all vents and also that it will blow hot air too. The gears on the flaps are known to break off.

Check the tailgate screen opens from the button on the rear wiper. Unles you're not bothered about having it of course. It's an easy thing to bodge to get working but if you want it mended properly it likely wants a new rear screen at £400. Haggle accordingly!

Check that the suspension raises and lowers all round without any bangs and creaks.

Listen out for rear brake squeal on your test drive - this will almost certainly be due to corrosion buildup between the calipers and trailing arm. Removing the calipers to clean them is not neccessarily an easy job at home because the bolts are loctited in and need an air tool to shift them. The corrosion causes the pads to wear at an angle. If it's really badly corroded then new calipers may be needed.

Check the clutch isn't juddery when you pull away.

Otherwise they're great - I love mine!
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

To add to the previous, check all tyres for even wear, it's "normal" for the rear tyres to wear more on the outside of the tyre the important thing is that it's about the same both sides if not then it is possible that there is some softening of the rear subframe bushes or the trailing arm bearings they seem to begin to go at around about 90K.
Check when driving that it will drive straight and true do a hands off brake check from about 15MPH and check that the wheel doesn't fall of to one side.

If it does could point to ball joints or lower arm bushes.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
terrie
My Cars:

Re: C5 Buying Advice

Post by terrie »

[quote="oxtailsoup"]Hello all! Just joined this forum as I am looking to purchase a C5 Estate.

I am viewing one this evening. It is a 2002 HDI (110) SX estate with 95k miles and full service history (one owner).

Are there any problems I should be looking for in particular on this model?

Thanks[/quote]

Hi Oxtail, I may have to change mine because I need to go back up to seven seats. Are you anywhere near the south east coast?
oxtailsoup

Post by oxtailsoup »

Thanks for your replies. I checked what I could from your suggestions above and all seems to be ok. Though cambelt at 100k has not been done so haggled. Paid £1300 instead of £1500. I am now the owner of a C5!

Its a 2002 110 Hdi LX estate with tow bar. One previous owner. Full Citroen service history every 10k miles. Last done at 92k and now on 95k miles. Bodywork has a few scuffs but tidy enough. Mechanicals are the only thing that's important to me as this car will be used to drive down to the south of Spain at the end of May.

Is it possible to manually change the direction of the headlights for european roads or do I need to look out for some second hand LHD headlamps? I used to have a Saab that the headlights could be manually changed. I don't think thats the case with this C5!

I may get the cambelt done before I leave for Spain. How much should I expect an Indie to charge for belt and pump fitted?

Thanks
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I would be getting your cambelt done ASAP, given that there is an 03 plate HDi C5 for breaking on ebay due to its cambelt snapping at 72K miles! Its not really worth risking.

Good luck with your C5, sounds a good car for the money.

I dont think there is a way you can convert the headlights. If your only going for a short time then you could just get those beam deflectors, which is what i used on the C5 in France.

Not sure on cambelt price, im yet to have to do one, wil be betting mine done soon so ill be interested how much you get yours done for :) Probably around £200-£250 i would think?

Dont forget to give the rear brakes a good looking at before you drive to spain. Check for caliper twisting as this can cause problems and eats through brake pads too.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10