Catalytic Converters

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

windysurferuk

Catalytic Converters

Post by windysurferuk »

The exhaust has started blowing just before the catalytic converter :cry:

My MOT is due at the end of this week and I'm hoping they can get away with welding the exhaust up.
If not can you buy this section of the exhaust without the Cat?
Failing that wheres the cheapest place to get one

cheers
Windy
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Doing a quick search comes back with the 2.1TD only coming with a CAT in the UK at least, unlike the 1.9TD.
I would see how much it'd cost to weld in a straight section to replace the CAT.
Otherwise you're looking at £78 excl VAT and delivery for a replacement.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Had a look online at Cat's Direct and its the same system as the 1.9TD Mk2 xantia, what you need is a 1995 Xantia front pipe, this will replace the cat and the middle box and go straight to the back box.

as diesels dont need a cat it'll be fine.

take a look at cat's direct do some comparing between mocdels and you'll find they are the same pipes.

UI went to kwik fit and they removed my holed cat and replaced it with a straight through pipe for the earlier model.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Had a look online at Cat's Direct and its the same system as the 1.9TD Mk2 xantia, what you need is a 1995 Xantia front pipe, this will replace the cat and the middle box and go straight to the back box.

take a look at cat's direct do some comparing between mocdels and you'll find they are the same pipes.

UI went to kwik fit and they removed my holed cat and replaced it with a straight through pipe for the earlier model.

regards Nigel.
Bloody cats direct not making their "next" button clear enough :oops:

DIY sphere tool
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

MOT station are going to weld a patch on to get it though MOT but this info's great for a long term fix. cheers
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Actually you've reminded me that I've got a straight through pipe that needs to go on Cassy to decat her.

DIY sphere tool
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Yup, looks like the right one.
Interesting it's the same on both the estate and hatchback.

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Xac wrote:
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Had a look online at Cat's Direct and its the same system as the 1.9TD Mk2 xantia, what you need is a 1995 Xantia front pipe, this will replace the cat and the middle box and go straight to the back box.

regards Nigel.
Bloody cats direct not making their "next" button clear enough :oops:
its at the top of the page in big bold red letters ...lol

thats it windy spot on Kwik fit supplied it and fitted it for £70 with a 2 year guarrentee which was just as well because I had to go back twice to have it tighened up against the manifold and another new gasket fitted. the big long down pipe seems to like moving about a lot on the xantia estate.

you will notice much better acceleration without the cat clogging up the engine with exhaust smoke, the car will feel like it wants to take off for a while,a big improvement.

dont go to kwik fit for a backbox though they charged me £100 which is a rip off figure esspecially as its available for 50% less elsewhwere.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.