1995 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD little help please!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

igor253
My Cars:

1995 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD little help please!

Post by igor253 »

My cambelt, drive belt, alternator belt, (I don't know the real name of the belt, but it connects the brakes, power steering and suspension, so I'd say it's the hydraulic pump belt). Anyway it is loose, and I lost all the hydraulic functions (brakes, power steering, and suspension). All I need from you guys is to show me a diagram, how it should look like so I can put it back as it was, and tighten it up. If you can't find a diagram and you have a Citroen Xantia, you could also draw by hand the position of the belt something like your own diagram, scan it and post it up here.

Please help, it is a simple problem but I can't find the diagram anywhere on the net. Thank you so much! :D
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Might be worth taking a look at this link.

Shouldn't affect your '95 Xantia but later 1.9 Turbo D's used the 2.1 TurboD auxiliary (hydraulic pump belt) drivebelt layout described in the BoL.

The cambelt is an altogether different kettle of fish and deals with the running of the engine itself.

EDIT: and welcome to the FCF!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Yes, it's the auxillary belt your are talking about, also driving the alternator (and aircon if you have it). I question why you should suddenly have lost belt tension.

My 1.9TD of similar vintage has manual adjustment, but sometime later, Citroen fitted auto-adjusters.

To adjust belt, I remove offside road wheel, and the front parts of inner wheel arch plastic covers (just prise the plastic fixings out with large screwdriver). The manual adjuster will be facing you. The tensioner is held in place by 2 allen bolts, one through the centre of the tensioner's idler wheel, and you'll need to slacken these, say half-1 turn. Then tighten the adjustor as you see fit (sorry, can't presently find appropriate page in Haynes). Can't remember which way you turn the adjuster to tighten, but should be obvious when you see it.

If this is the original tensioner, you may wish to spin the adjuster wheel by hand to check bearings sound OK. I heard funny noises from mine whilst engine ticking over (when about 12 years old and 130k), and subsequently found the bearings noisey & sounded very dry, so replaced it. I tensioned it to what I thought OK, but it made a noise (from the hydraulics pump I guess), so tweaked it bit more & noise disappeared - never touched it since :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to thje forum Igor :D

Haynes describes the aux belt tensioners well enough.. One of the best bits of the Xantia Haynes manual possibly!

If you need, I could do some scans of the relevant paragraphs...

One important thing is the pages in the Haynes Manual is for an air con-equipped 1.9TD. If yours is non-aircon, it's slightly different again.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Hi Igor,
This is the diagram Jim is telling you about.
It shows the air con wheel at the top and it's adjusting roller.

If your car hasn't got air con then the belt will come off the bottom of the manually adjusted roller (no 2) and go over the top of the crank shaft pulley.

Hope this helps
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

Ok, you guys are amazing, you just solved and saved me from spending tons of money, just read this, you are not gonna BELIEVE IT!

First of all, the amazing guy that posted the diagram of the belt, I couldn't recognize my engine, the diagram did't fit the engine in any way. Then I searched the net a bit more and it started making sense. The so called stupid, dumbass, mechanic removed the aircon, manually adjusted roller, and replaced the automatically adjusted roller that I already replaced not so long ago and it is in perfect shape. Of course I had to pay for that so called repair a ton of money, I had to change this belt three times in the last 6 months, and it wasn't cheap eather, 120 euros each time, which is not the money thats very easy to come by in this country, after the search and snoop on the net I found out that this belt should be replaced only once every 2-3 years. This is exactly why I registered and searched for online help, that mother****** omg I don't know what to say, I'm so pissed right now. Tomorrow I'm gonna kick that guy's ass. You guys have been a looooot of help, You guys are my heros.
Thank you sososososososososososo much!!!!!!

I'll write back after I'm done with the mechanic tomorrow, that is so low mate, I'm such a nice guy I never screwed anyone, and I was so nice to this guy even tiped him a couple of times, but NOW I am gonna kick the s**t out of him!!!
I just had to quote everyone of you so you would see this.
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

Martin Beevers wrote:Hi Igor,
This is the diagram Jim is telling you about.
It shows the air con wheel at the top and it's adjusting roller.

If your car hasn't got air con then the belt will come off the bottom of the manually adjusted roller (no 2) and go over the top of the crank shaft pulley.

Hope this helps
Ok, you guys are amazing, you just solved and saved me from spending tons of money, just read this, you are not gonna BELIEVE IT!

First of all, the amazing guy that posted the diagram of the belt, I couldn't recognize my engine, the diagram did't fit the engine in any way. Then I searched the net a bit more and it started making sense. The so called stupid, dumbass, mechanic removed the aircon, manually adjusted roller, and replaced the automatically adjusted roller that I already replaced not so long ago and it is in perfect shape. Of course I had to pay for that so called repair a ton of money, I had to change this belt three times in the last 6 months, and it wasn't cheap eather, 120 euros each time, which is not the money thats very easy to come by in this country, after the search and snoop on the net I found out that this belt should be replaced only once every 2-3 years. This is exactly why I registered and searched for online help, that mother****** omg I don't know what to say, I'm so pissed right now. Tomorrow I'm gonna kick that guy's ass. You guys have been a looooot of help, You guys are my heros.

I'll write back after I'm done with the mechanic tomorrow, that is so low mate, I'm such a nice guy I never screwed anyone, and I was so nice to this guy even tiped him a couple of times, but NOW I am gonna kick the poor out of him!!!
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

CitroJim wrote:Welcome to thje forum Igor :D

Haynes describes the aux belt tensioners well enough.. One of the best bits of the Xantia Haynes manual possibly!

If you need, I could do some scans of the relevant paragraphs...

One important thing is the pages in the Haynes Manual is for an air con-equipped 1.9TD. If yours is non-aircon, it's slightly different again.

I'll write back after I'm done with the mechanic tomorrow, that is so low mate, I'm such a nice guy I never screwed anyone, and I was so nice to this guy even tiped him a couple of times, but NOW I am gonna kick the poor out of him!!!
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

Xantidote wrote:Yes, it's the auxillary belt your are talking about, also driving the alternator (and aircon if you have it). I question why you should suddenly have lost belt tension.

My 1.9TD of similar vintage has manual adjustment, but sometime later, Citroen fitted auto-adjusters.

To adjust belt, I remove offside road wheel, and the front parts of inner wheel arch plastic covers (just prise the plastic fixings out with large screwdriver). The manual adjuster will be facing you. The tensioner is held in place by 2 allen bolts, one through the centre of the tensioner's idler wheel, and you'll need to slacken these, say half-1 turn. Then tighten the adjustor as you see fit (sorry, can't presently find appropriate page in Haynes). Can't remember which way you turn the adjuster to tighten, but should be obvious when you see it.

If this is the original tensioner, you may wish to spin the adjuster wheel by hand to check bearings sound OK. I heard funny noises from mine whilst engine ticking over (when about 12 years old and 130k), and subsequently found the bearings noisey & sounded very dry, so replaced it. I tensioned it to what I thought OK, but it made a noise (from the hydraulics pump I guess), so tweaked it bit more & noise disappeared - never touched it since :)

igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

red_dwarfers wrote:Might be worth taking a look at this link.

Shouldn't affect your '95 Xantia but later 1.9 Turbo D's used the 2.1 TurboD auxiliary (hydraulic pump belt) drivebelt layout described in the BoL.

The cambelt is an altogether different kettle of fish and deals with the running of the engine itself.

EDIT: and welcome to the FCF!

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

That diagram Martin, is the Earlyer first edition of Air COn tensioner setup, which in my opinion is SOOOOO much better setup then the later spring loaded one.

This arrangement was then re employed in a beefier way on the HDi engines!! The manual adjuster was still replaced by the eccentric effort, which is also very tough..

Its the best setup to have! That upper tensioner does not give trouble like the spring one! And if you have a complete assey with that one, it IS transferable onto a car with the Spring!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

why doesnt anyone call it by its proper name its a "serpentine belt" this is why we love our citroens so much all the quirky names for componants.

Bl**dy auxillary belt. No wonder you couldnt find it searching online.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:why doesnt anyone call it by its proper name its a "serpentine belt"
Because none of us can spell it Nigel!!!!!

:lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:why doesnt anyone call it by its proper name its a "serpentine belt" this is why we love our citroens so much all the quirky names for componants.

Bl**dy auxillary belt. No wonder you couldnt find it searching online.
I didn't know what it was called :D and I was so suprised after I saw how many parts are missing :evil: