New Member, with a zx

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zach

New Member, with a zx

Post by zach »

Hello all, after ownership of a few polos, i was in need of a runabout, and came across a 1995 1.4 ZX Elation. Shes in great nick, and i got it for a bargain.

The only thing wrong with it is the Fuelguage sits at zero with the light on, even after visiting the pump, and the speedometer also doesnt work. Before tearing apart my dash, i was wandering if the two guages maybe shared the same fuse, which may have blown. I cant seem to find any diagram showing the layout of fuses for a zx. (Yes i could go and buy the haynes, but to be honest i have better things to spend my £20 on :) )

I also am aware that on polos an erratic fuel guage can be caused by a bad earth, is it possible this could be the problem here? If so where is the earth located.

Sorry for all the questions, its just a pain not knowing what speed your doing and how far you will actually get before conking out.

Thanks,

Zach
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I believe you have two separate issues here as I'm pretty sure that the speedo is not electric but operated by a mechanical cable, pull out the dials then drive the car a short distance whilst observing the end of the speedo cable, it the cable is OK you will see the inner cable turn as the car moves.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
zach

Post by zach »

Cheers mate, will give it a go tomorrow when im off work.
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

My ZX is a 19td but has an electric speedo. :?
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I 'think' they changed it around 96 / 97 (roughly the same time as the 306's changed too)

95 should be mechanical (cable) speedo in most cases...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
zach

Post by zach »

Just a wee update...

Had a fiddle with the car today. Started with the fact the rear wiper doesnt work, so i took the relay out and scraped off most of the corrosion. Put it back in and althought the wiper still doesnt move the relay now clicks... So a new relay is needed then.

Then checked all the fuses, the glove box ones were fine but under the engine bay there was one blown, it was replaced and now i have a horn and front fogs :).

Now the two spaces for fuses closest to the front of the car were empty, so i threw two 20's in to see if that would magically make my car work again.... Unfortunatly not. Infact they did nothing.

I dug a little deeper and underneath the fuse box i found two female connectors (three pin) , one red and one orange. What might theese be for? They are not connected to anything at the minute.

Also there was a small single pin purple head all alone.

Anyone any ideas?