Xantia temp.problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tony
My Cars:

Xantia temp.problem

Post by Tony »

My '94 2.0L (8 valve) auto. is suffering a few, possibly temperature related problems. That is pinking, high temp. warning flash, cooling fans running more frequently/and at the higher speed. Temp. guage does not confirm these high temp. indications, and engine does appear to be overheated.
I going to look for the knock sensor but does anyone know where the coolant temp. sensor is located ? The ever wonderful Haynes manual says on most models it's in the radiator, but doesnt say where else it could be if it isnt.
Tony
My Cars:

Post by Tony »

I just re-read my "topic" I meant to say the engine does not appear to be overheated.
Cheers all
mazidee
My Cars:

Post by mazidee »

Not sure whether this help. Based on my experience with my Citroen ZX 1.8i Estate and also my friend Peugeot 306 (they share same engine), the problem is with the sensor that control fan, aircond etc. located below the front bumper, right hand side if you are standing infront of the car. My 306 friend change the sensor but what I did is using WD40 aerosol to clean the contact. For few month is has been running fine.
Haydn
My Cars:

Post by Haydn »

I have had the same problem with my 95' 1.8 16v. the sensor/control unit mentioned previously is called a Bitron unit and on the Xantia it sits under the left hand headlight(nearside in the UK). Anyway I have cleaned up the contacts with a soft wire brush and sprayed them with elec' cleaner and has been ok for two weeks now. If you need to remove the unit you will have to remove the headlight and as recomended by a Citroen mechanic, drill a hole in the fibreglass front panel to get at the hidden front screw(nearest bumper) then pass a small socket thru' the hole(better than removing the whole front panel). If you need a new one it will set you back about £28 plus VAT. Hope this helps.
Tony
My Cars:

Post by Tony »

Many thanks. I havent been around for a while, hence the 2 months to respond. As I still have the problem I will investigate.