New Member---Citroen Synergie

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cathal1976

New Member---Citroen Synergie

Post by cathal1976 »

Hi folks, great site here. I have just bought a 2000 reg Citroen Synergie HDI. There is no other markings whatsoever on the car and no handbook. Its chassis is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. Can anyone tell me if its 8 or 16 valve??? According to log book its cc is 1997.
Am wondering what gear oil/spark plugs are suitable for this model. As i normally service myself....how often should gear oil/spark plugs/glow plugs be changed?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. I just cahnged engine oil with 10w40 and intend doing this every 5000 miles.

I used to have a Opel Zafira and i hated it, the synergie seems superior in every aspect....comfort/space/performance. My car has only 55,000 miles on so hope will last a long time.

Regards Cathal
00 Synergie Hdi
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Using your VIN, your car has this engine: DW10ATED TURBO DIESEL

And parts diagrams show 8-valves, confirmed by this website: http://tinyurl.com/yca7kst

Hope that helps. Don't have autodata installed yet for gear oil or spark plug info, although you won't be needing the latter; diesels don't use spark plugs, only glow plugs.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The DW10ATED is the 110 HDi as used in the Xantia. Anything that goes for the Xantia HDi will apply to your engine Cathal.

The gearbox will be an ML5 and this should only ever be filled with Total BV 75W/80 oil. Any other grade is not suitable. The only other oil I know that is suitable is Comma 75W/80 and this is marked as suitable for certain Citroen/Peugeot gearboxes. using the wrong stuff will compromise gearchange quality.

The gearbox oil does not need changing very often but if you do, the level/filler plug is on the back of the diff and not very accessible. Normal way around this is to drain the oil and fill a measured 1.7 litres through the reversing light switch hole (after removing the switch!). Access is still a bit tricky and a funnel on the end of a long tube is called for. It's easier than the diff plug though.

James is right about glowplugs. As the HDi is a DI engine the glowplugs see a fraction of the use they do in an IDI engine (in fact they don't even come on unless the temperature is below something like 5 degrees) so they last a long time.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote:James is right about glowplugs. As the HDi is a DI engine the glowplugs see a fraction of the use they do in an IDI engine (in fact they don't even come on unless the temperature is below something like 5 degrees) so they last a long time.
Not strictly true Jim. Whilst the glowplug light might not come on the dash the plugs do work (probably to aid starting) but also have a long post start glow period. This rather compromises life, and many HDis that have done a few miles will be carrying a covert fault code for a failed glow plug. They start easily though even with one or more down - suspect mine has one away, as it was a bit rough starting at below -10 this winter, but since it starts fine the rest of the time, I'll not bother to investigate it! Back to the OP, I wouldn't worry about the glow plugs - if it starts OK under normal circumstances just keep using it!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard :D That's good learning! I always thought that glowplugs on DI engines were almost there for ornamental purposes :lol:

Interesting on the log post-glow period. I guess for the same reason as on a turbo IDI. To keep emissions and smoke down when the engine is cold...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cathal1976

Post by cathal1976 »

Thanks folks, that sets me straight on a number of issues.
any more probs and will know where to come!!!
regards, Cathal
00 Synergie Hdi
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Cathal,

Welcome to the world of Synergie's. I have a 1.9TD so I can't comment on any engine related issues.
Things that have gone wrong with mine over the last 5 years are:

Electrics - Sliding Sunroof, if you have one, has a habit of running out of puff and jamming open. Never got to the bottom of why this happened although you can manually crank it shut by way of an allen key socket on the motor.
Rear door electric windows sometimes will not operate regardless of which switch is used. This is generally caused by water getting into the door pillar contacts and corroding the pins therein. A wire brush & WD40 will sort it out.
ABS warning light on the dash may stay on after engine is started. MOT failure unless fixed. If you can discount the wheel sensors then maybe caused by water corroding relay contacts situated under N/S front wheel arch adjacent to the ECU. A new relay from Citroen is £90 but you can fix the old one using a standard flat blade auto fuse, total cost about 10p and about 1 hour of your time. PM or post for details when/if needed.
Indicator switch unit may also start 'ticking' whenever it wants to. Not sure if any fix is available and don't now the cost of a new unit. I just put up with it ( the indicators don't flash when this happens, you just get the 'ticking' sound.)

Gearbox syncro is also a little weak. Treat your box with respect. 2nd gear on mine is almost unselectable and has been for the last 2 years. Ufortunately 1st gear is heading the same way so shortly will have to sort out a replacement. Approx 2nd hand price about £300 plus plenty of aggro removing and refitting. The subframe will need to be removed to change the HDi unit.

Rear sliding doors have a habit of refusing to open when the rods/cables/linkages become stretched/worn. Not easy to get access to the internals to inspect either. You may have to develop a knack of 'snapping' the handle back to get them to work. This will be effective for a couple of years or so, but will eventually need to be sorted.

Other than that, It is a great bus. Used as a family european tourer, removal van, motorhome and sleeps 2 comfortably with the rear seats removed. Wouldn't be without it.

Good luck

Gammy
cathal1976

Post by cathal1976 »

Cheers Gammy....great list of woes there. None of those issues have popped up yet but will be armed when they do. Think might hit few festivals this summer with d missus and sleep in d back so!!!!
Regards, cathal
00 Synergie Hdi