HA! Plus Gas 1 - Rear wiper 0

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

HA! Plus Gas 1 - Rear wiper 0

Post by RichardW »

Earlier in the winter the rear wiper on my Xantia estate really slowed down. Unlike the hatch where the wind clears the window, the estate really needs a rear wiper, as the water (and cack!) sucks right back onto the screen. I eventually persuaded the nut and wiper arm off (took a good hard pull with a 2 leg puller that just got hold), the fed it Plus Gas while it went back and forward for quite a few wipes (till my hands felt like they were going to freeze off!). It had improved, but was still a bit sluggish, so I was thinking it was going to have to come out in the summer (rear liner removal...yuk!). However, today it has freed right off, and wipes pretty fast now. Woo-hoo, Plug Gas FTW! Suppose I should feed some more permanent lube in now, in the form of spray grease or something to stop it happening again.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm a huge fan of Plus-Gas Richard, even though it costs a bomb. Worth every penny in my experience.

Burns well too! :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

I agree, never fail to be amazed at how easy it makes removals.

Since In started using it again (my farther always swore by it) I have been particularly impressed at how easy it makes drop link removal.

I find that using a small syringe you only need to put a few small drops on a thread and that you can place them acurately - very economical and no mess.

John
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

So whats the correct way to use it to get the best from it?

I noticed we can get it through work :wink: Was thinking of getting myself some :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I find it's best to wire-brush the threads first and then spray on a little P-G and allow it to soak in for a few minutes.

A little goes a long way so as Fred says, use small drops. It is/was available in non-aerosol cans similar to the cans 3 in 1 oil used to come in and in this form it was/is both much more economical in use and lasts longer. In fact there is no difference in performance between administering small drops and drenching the item in a monsoon of the stuff.

Another good thing about P-G is if you spray it all over the place accidentally it'll dry up and disappear totally in a few days.

The best antidote to road salt induced corrosion known!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

CitroJim wrote: A little goes a long way so as Fred says, use small drops. It is/was available in non-aerosol cans similar to the cans 3 in 1 oil used to come in
I can confirm that it is available in the cans. They stock it down at our local old school DIY place.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair