citroen suspension leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonupteabag
My Cars:

citroen suspension leak

Post by tonupteabag »

hi i hope someone can shed a little light on this my xantia went through the mot with no problems but while it was on the ramp i noticed a small leak which resulted in a drip formed on the subframe just in front of the n/s rear suspension arm now is this going to be the hydraulic ram boot or is it going to be more serious the ride height is ok there was a slight imbalance on the back brakes but not suffient to cause any problems for the mot but i don't like any leaks be it water oil or lhm i've gone through a lot of threads and posts but haven't found any similarities hence asking the question on here i will have to let someone else do the job as i can't do much due to a severe motorcycle accident. i have a few issues with trusting anyone else to work on my car as i do all my own work so i know its done properly any ideas would be appreciated :cry:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome Mr teabag

dose the leak seem to be around the rubber gaitor on the suspension unit,

and the rear brake imballance could be one calliper has the imfamous corrosion build up between the calliper and rear arm,

were abouts are you,

regards malcolm
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

hi malcolm
i'm in devon near barnstaple i'm not a 100% certain where the leak is as i can't get under for a proper look but it does look like the front of the ram then the fluids tracking down on the lower edge of the subframe just in front of the rear wheel you can see the subframe viewed from the rear wheel arch looking down you can see the square bottom that is where it appears damp
thanks for the reply
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If your car has hydroactive suspension, (VSX/Exclusive/Activa), it could also be a leak from the hydroactive valve return hose. These sometimes leak just above the LH end of the subframe.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

no its just a standard 1.9td lx
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hmmm, this area above the Subframe is the route all the feed and return (4 of, 3 high pressure, one low) take to the rear of the car..

Is a common area for a pipe to rot through and leak, useually were they are clipped on the subframe.

Ive had high pressure pipes weep slowly, then when disturbed from their clip, all hell break loose ... :o :? :?

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

just what i had hoped it not to be i suppose i'm going to have to try and get underneath to have a proper look
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

Make CERTAIN you have the vehicle SAFELY supported on axle stands or similar. :?
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

yes safety is important with these cars
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

well i think i better hang my head in shame i've managed to get the car up to have a look at the leak which isn't a leak at all it was some residual lhm from when i changed the spheres i've checked the pipes and they are dry so it looks like i'm in the clear thank god i didn't relish the idea of changing the pipes and the hydraulic unit :oops:
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

Good news then 8-)

Changing the rear hydraulic strut aint too bad a job, i done the o/s rear on Jennies activa yesterday it was leaking lhm like a tap.

Took me an hr to remove one off the spares car & refit to the other car. The clip was solid on the spares car, dowsed it in plusgas & drifted it out. There was so much lhm on the good activa the clip came out no bother :lol:
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Brigsygtt wrote: There was so much lhm on the good activa the clip came out no bother :lol:
Every cloud has a silver lining :D Maybe LHM is a good releasing fluid?

Always looking for new uses for old LHM :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Maybe we should patent and sell it with all proceeds going to the forum fund. Hair conditioner and releasing fluid. Anybody care to add to the list? :lol: :lol:
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

I think i have just managed to get it out of my hair after this weekend :lol:

Leak has come back with a vengance too, im hoping its something simple as i had to reuse the sphere seal or one of the return pipes...The ram looked ok but theres that much lhm in the area now ill have to degrease it to see where its coming from.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)