Clutch Auto Adjust Cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you are going the cable route, it is possible to pull the clip out enough to detatch the cable, without removeing the clutch pedle,

make a very tight hook at the end of a length of wire coat hanger,
tight enough to hold and grip the spring steel clipat the top o the pedle,

pull the clip towards you just enough to release the cable,

refitting
just hold the clip out enough to re/locate the cable end fully into the nylon block which the clip slots into, then push the clip home
regards malcolm
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, I've ordered my Clutch cable now and will take your advice on the wire coathanger to pull on the metal clip.

If things go wrong and the pedal has to come out (cutting the head off seems to be the answer on this forum, unless you're really lucky to be able to separate all the pivot bushes etc and twist out the pedal); do you perhaps know the length of the 8mm dia pivot bolt? The cost of this item is pence, but I'd like to get one before starting the job - just in case it turns to a big job!

Thanks,

Steve
Proud owner of two Citroens:-
'R' reg 1998 Xantia 1.9 TD Temptation Estate.
'N' reg 1996 ZX 1.9 TD Aura Estate.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

NO NO NO there is not any need to cut bend or butcher at all, (smack on the wrist)

if you end up dropping the pedel it will come out,

you might at some point think it aint going to but lots of PERCY WHAT SIT is required,

regards malcolm
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

The symptoms you have are typical of a malfunctioning auto adjust cable. My peugot partner van (same design same company) does exactly the same. As I fit clutches for a living I can'nt be bothered to change it (no clutch clip on mine, luckily). It's all quite staightforward except getting the baynot end into the clip. I'm sure in some idiot designers mind you just pushed th cable and it went 'click'. Not in the real world.
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi Flying Clutchman,

I came around to that line of thinking when Malcolm put forward an earlier post.

I've now got the new cable and I'm summoning up the courage to go into the footwell and take a look at that Clip. I reckon it's also a job where I'll have to get the car on ramps as the cable runs along behind the engine somewhere.

I'm sure the whole job is a curse and will take several hours to master, but I'm convinced that it's the auto adjust cable that's a fault now, so will pick a nice dry and warm day and set to....
Proud owner of two Citroens:-
'R' reg 1998 Xantia 1.9 TD Temptation Estate.
'N' reg 1996 ZX 1.9 TD Aura Estate.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

It's a lot easier if you have some one to push the other end of the cable whike you hold the pedal. I'm usually working on my own