Noise when braking from speed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reffro
My Cars:

Noise when braking from speed.

Post by reffro »

When I apply the brakes for slowing from higher speeds, 80mph down to 30mph, the brakes work fine but they are accompanied by harsh grinding sound from about 60mph down until I release the brakes. Its not the pads or the discs both are less than 10,000 miles old, front and rear. The pads are OK and the face of the discs are also OK. What can it be, my guess was the bearings, am I right? Oh by the way its a Xantia if it makes any difference.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by reffro</i>

Its not the pads or the discs both are less than 10,000 miles old, front and rear.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's no guarantee that it's not the pads, which is the most likely thing. First thing to do is actually check the pads and disks.
I don't know if the Xantia suffers from the same but BX rear disks had a tendancy to corrode because there is not much weight over the back end so the rear brakes don't get used much and so tend to sieze up. It could be that.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

at 10,000 miles pads could easily be worn, especially if the caliper is sticking.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Unlikely that the bearings would grumble under braking - indeed applying the brakes can sometimes take the load off one set and reduce noise.
That is unless the caliper has siezed and is forcing the disc and hub to one side.
have you altered the load in the car? - eg a large toolbox at the extreme rear? full fuel tank . . . - this might cause the rear brakes to start working and the discs may be rusted and cause vibration and noise.
jeremy