possible gearbox issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scoles

possible gearbox issues

Post by scoles »

As above, been trying to find a horrible rumbling noise coming from my xantia for a few weeks now. its at the point where you cant hear each other speak in the car at motor way speeds.

I had teh car up off the ground yesterday and had the front wheels doing 50mph with me lying underneath to listen to the intermediate bearing.

I couldnt hear a whisper... very quiet.

But i did notice a lot of fluid at teh rear of teh gear box which has migrated along the N/S drive shaft and into the N/S inner wing.

The N/S driveshaft is dry around the gearbox entrance but the O/S is pretty wet.

And now i am wondering if this noise is in actual fact the transmission... my only issue with that is the gearbox is very smooth no rough gear changes.

So how do i go about checking the fluid level in the box... also wheres the fill plug?

I have found the drain plug,

And how much of what fluid goes into the box?

Its a 2001 xantia 2.0HDi hatchback.

Any info is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

What version of HDi is your car, 90 or 110 bhp? They use a different gearbox.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
scoles

Post by scoles »

hi its a 110bhp version sorry forgot to mention that.

I just cant think of it being the box purely based on the gear change is silky smooth the now.

Cheers
Stuart
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

If the noise is dissapearing with the weight off the wheels it may be a wheel bearing. Obviously oil leaks are not good, but make sure whether it's engine or gearbox oil. (easy to tell, gearbox oil has a very distinctive sickly smell. Engine oil smells like ---oil!)
scoles

Post by scoles »

flying clutchman wrote:If the noise is dissapearing with the weight off the wheels it may be a wheel bearing. Obviously oil leaks are not good, but make sure whether it's engine or gearbox oil. (easy to tell, gearbox oil has a very distinctive sickly smell. Engine oil smells like ---oil!)
Well the bottom of the engine seems very dry... its very concentrated right behind the gearbox between the gearbox and the bulkhead.

it feels slick like oil....but certainly doesnt smell like gearbox oil....i would notice that a mile away.

Well with the weight off the wheels and no noise kind of lead me to the wheel bearings.

Just wish i could get to the bottom of this... :(

The noise doesnt get any louder or change tone when cornering, but only speed dependant. Ie the faster you go the louder it gets.

Cheers
Stuart
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Definitly sounds like a bearing, you have eliminated the o/s centre so it must be a wheel bearing, try chucking it round corners really hard, if that doesn't do it you will have to chance your arm on which one it is.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, another vote for wheel bearings...

Just for completeness...

The fill plug, Stuart, is half-way up the back of the diff housing and to practical purposes, virtually inaccessible :twisted:

Normal way is to drain the 'box and measure 1.7 Litres in theough the reversing light switch.

Yes, gearbox oil has a very distinctive smell :roll: No mistaking it :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I've just changed a front wheel bearing on my V6, like yours the noise got louder the faster the car went. Getting under the car with the wheels spinning at high speed, levering for excess movement, cornering at speed, all the usual tests for a worn wheel bearing revealed nothing. To make sure before you spend money you'll have to remove the driveshaft from the hub so that you can spin the hub freely, a worn bearing will grumble.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
scoles

Post by scoles »

Thats great guys, will get all of the above done...

Just trying to build my tools back up again as my unit was broken into last week resulting in every tool taken....

I will get two front wheel bearings, as i have to do the O/S ARB link and ABS reluctor ring and rear wishbone bush.

So may as well do both bearings and thats the front pretty much taken care of i would say.

I think this is the only car thats cost me so much money.

But i love the 600 miles to a tank of diesel so i cant complain.

Stuart