Xsara rear trailing arm bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leigh

Xsara rear trailing arm bearings

Post by leigh »

Hi just been reading another thread regarding the above on a xantia. Is it an easy job on a Mk 1 xsara 1.9D 1999. Get a groaning noise occassionally at low speeds sounds like the brakes are stuck but they're not Rear dampers and axle mounting bushes are new but it still groans. Heard stories like you have to set ride height etc after works been done.Any one got any clues on this one
Cheers
Leigh
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's much much harder on a Xsara than a Xantia sadly :cry: Your best bet if you think the bearings are away is to replace the rear subframe with a SH off a lower mileage car. Noise at the rear may be from the subframe mounts, which are happily easier to change!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I agree with you Richard.

There are two major issues with the Xsara rear beam (and similar beams fitted to many other conventionally sprung Pugs and Cits); the first being corrosion that makes the assembly very hard to strip in the first place and even if you do successfully strip it, you're likely to find both the trailing arm axles written off due to pitting from corrosion and secondly, the axle tube is very likely to have the bearing housings worn oval, thus writing off the whole tube. The bearings themselves are needle rollers and will most likely have turned entirely into a cloud of rusty dust.

It is possible to rebuild with a new tube and trailing arm axles but it's uneconomic whilst scrapyards can still provide serviceable replacements.

The shame is that the whole problem is caused by lack of grease and less than perfect grease seals on the ends of the beam tube. If only the axle had grease nipples it would last for ever.

Back in the days when I had a 205GTi (which has substantially the same axle) a refurbished replacement cost me £350 and that was a few years ago now.

Many 205GTi owners now tap the tube and fit grease nipples. Worth doing if you intend to hold onto the car.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Coventry transmissions do refurbished rear axles on an exchange basis for the AX and some Pug models at abot £300.

They alsoI believe will refurbish your own axle.

They are in St Agathas Rd Coventry on 024 76 635054
regards

John