Xantia 2.1 td engine bay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Xantia 2.1 td engine bay

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all

Would just some extra advice on how to refit the fuel line feed to the fuel filter and then onto the pump on the 2.1td.If you look closely you can see that something has been bypassed on my new arrival :lol:

Cheers

Colin
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

It will either be a split pipe in a hard to get place, or the Fuel Heater is playing up and causing starting problems, which in UK climate, is not really needed...

Looking nice so far..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

The feed pipe should go under the inlet manifold, along the the frunt of the engine and into the base of the filter housing at the back, you will be able to work out the outlet by yourself.
Before reconecting I'd remove the filter and housing, give it a good clean and use some sealant on the base and the small round bit on the LHS (this is a thurmostate) before refitting (also let the sealant cure before priming the system) as this most probably the reason it was bypassed (sucking in air), the 2.1 is very sencertive to air in the pump.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks gents

Any hints/tips on how to remove the filter housing safely and what type of sealant to use.
I hope to use clear pipe to and from the filter and can get away with not using the car for a day so can leave plenty of time for the sealant to set/cure

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Colin,

Yes, do use clear pipe for all. Then you can easily see air. The standard installation uses clear pipe in both supply and return ruight up to the bracket where the rubber pipes terminate on the bracket by the cam cover. Mine additionally had clear pipe right up too the primer bulb.

The filter body is held onto the engine top hose casting via a 13mm bolt in the bottom of it accessible after removing the filter element.

Don't use any sealant as the body to casting seal is achieved by an O ring.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Slightly off topic but worth saying:

I've always found this type of fuel filter housing was the most efficient, shame they changed it for the DW8 (I know the XUD9 has a smaller "housing", but its essentially the same)

Reliable and very quick and easy to change the filter, and you get a decent amount of warmth to the fuel too.

The 'back of the block' early heaters are a pain, closely followed by the '3 part' ones on the bulkhead (as you are supposed to take coolant pipes off) , very messy indeed to change the filter as its exposed as soon as you undo the bolt.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Jim, I surgested sealant as the O rings oftern go flat and will not reseal if used again, and as you can't buy just the O ring (only the whole housing) this is a much cheaper way of getting it to seal.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;