C5 HDi fuel gauge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zilly

C5 HDi fuel gauge

Post by zilly »

My fuel gauge just started reading over full. This was preceded by the radio cutting out and the Service light coming on. Didn't notice any immobiliser messages, which is what I normally get with those symptoms.

I've pulled the connector off the sender - it looks clean and healthy. The gauge drops to empty with the igniton off.

Does it sound like a new sender unit is needed? Which is the sender wire and which is power?

Any special precautions before I try to do this?

Thanks
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

The fuel gauge isn't fed directly but by the ECU. The first thing I would try would be disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
zilly

Post by zilly »

Thanks........I should have put in my original post I disconnected it for 30 seconds - is that long enough?

Incidentally the LCD display also indicates mega miles left before refilling required.
zilly

Post by zilly »

Well the gauge is now working, in that it is showing a level lower than over full.

What I did find was that the trip computer and oodmeter, both reset when I filled up 100 miles ago, were reading about 15 miles different. Looks like the trip computer stopped counting miles when the fault occurred this morning, so it's likely it is an ECU fault rather than the fuel sender.