Xantia Headlight Refurbishment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Xantia Headlight Refurbishment

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have read a fair few posts on the forum to improve the light output from the Xantia headlight. eg

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... adlamp+mod

My Xantia requires an improvement to the light output from both headlights to pass the MOT. The solutions I have come up with have a wide range in cost.

1. Replacement of the units-quick estimate from GSF at 5.00 on a Friday afternoon when the lads are already pulling the shutters down ready for the weekend £80 per unit.

2. New high intensity bulbs roughly £20 each- £80 for the lot.

3. Try to ensure that a decent voltage arrives at each the headlight unit by doing the relay and supply modification in the thread above. Not sure of the cost of this I assume the parts list for the modification would be 4 relays, a length of 2.5mm twin and earth cable and the various connectors to be assembled/made/bought.

4. Do a bit of clean up of connectors, maybe install an additional earth to the units and attempt some refurbishment of the reflective surfaces of the units where they have become dull or pitted, and get a new set of standard bulbs.

5 Get a replacement set of headlights after spending hours and many miles going from scrapyard to scrapyard looking for a better set of headlamps than I have already got.

I think I'll start with No4 just a couple of questions for discussion

How useful is kitchen foil and glue in this context?
What rule of thumb pricing should you employ when getting stuff from scrapyards? I reckon 10% of the price new is a good starting point, and negotiating the price before you take stuff off is a good approach.

Any views?

Thanks Neil
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

I would start with the basics. I would check the voltage available at the actual bulb contacts, first. The next check I would do is the integrity of the earth connection between the bulb connection and the battery. If all four bulbs are showing a low output then something has changed from the last MOT.

It would be annoying to spend £££'s on bits and then find a poor earth connection. :shock:
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Neil, I agree with MJM's comments....your lights shouldnt be that bad as they last a decent while on Xantias...thats why the price at GSF has gone up so much over the years....there is very little demand and they are Valeo units too.

If all else fails, if i were you id look for some second hand headlights of a later year model the same shape as yours....Im presuming yours must be an early one as otherwise your headlights wouldnt have lost enough intensity to fail an MOT test :?

If its your glass lenses that are causing the problem then GSF sell these and Paul at Newcastle should be able to do you a good deal if you name drop me (Vince at GSF Liverpool) I know Paul the manager there he is a good guy :wink:

The relay mod apparently is a great way to boost output but if your headlights are that bad then id be inclined to do both :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks for your replies Vince and MJM

I managed to do just enough for the MOT by doing a bit of a clean up of all the electrical connections, chosing the two best headlight units from my SORN Xantia and current Xantia , doing a clean up of lenses and reflective surfaces, and installing 4 new standard bulbs.

The potential expense of the new units did have me looking towards the kitchen foil and the glue, but the reflective surfaces of the two units I refitted to the car after the clean up weren't too bad in my eyes, so the silver foil solution remains to be tested.

All the best Neil
mark230678

Post by mark230678 »

have 2 headlights of car i am breaking vgc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the reflectors are dull which they will be after a high mileage, if you can remove the glass, clean the reflectors with a soft tissue soaked in methelated spirit, dont press hard or you will take the silver off, just swab the surfaces and dry carefully with another tissue. You will see the difference just by looking at them.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Next job to finish the job nicely, is the relay mod :wink:

I really, really must do the mod on my V6. been saying that for nearly a year now :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

CitroJim wrote:Next job to finish the job nicely, is the relay mod :wink:

I really, really must do the mod on my V6. been saying that for nearly a year now :roll:
I haven't got to the saying stage of the relay mod yet, Im still at the 'thinking I should probably do it' stage :lol: I've even got most if not all of the bits in a box ready to go!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:Next job to finish the job nicely, is the relay mod :wink:

I should do that to my son's 306, he's just come back from Wales complaining about the main and dipped beams.