alternator removal Xantia 1.9 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If the car has anti sink, which it should have from 1995 M reg onwards, if shes an N P or R reg then DEFENATLY, thats 1996, 97 98...

With anti sink the Pump can DEFENATLY be taken off, as long as the anti sink still works..

How to tell if anti sink works. If the car stays up ALL night and has not sunk to the ground...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Remember the 12mm nut on the regulator is only undone just over half a turn when depressurising anyway.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Opening the regulator screw with the engine NOT running will only depressurise the Brake cuircuit, so you then have to re close the regulator to pressure the suspension system, to open the anti sink valves, to lower the suspension..

The haynes never experianced an anti sink car, from the looks of it when they made the book!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
roby77

alternator, tensioner renewal

Post by roby77 »

Hi...i'm back to the alternator,tensioner renewal after a few long days at work..Kenny i can't find the pressure regulator release screw.CitroenXM i can't see a 12mm nut that you say is the pressure release screw..The Haynes manual layout for this pump does not look the same as mine..So i just need to release the pressure so i can remove the pump and continue with the repair..My car is a late 1997 model so as has been said the car should not sink...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The pressure release is by the accumulator sphere, not the pump.
down at the front of the engine.
Turn it 1/4-1/2 a turn only.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
roby77

alternator ,tensioner

Post by roby77 »

Hi all...Well the hydraulic pump is off (thanks Xac,found the release valve)..Little fluid was lost and the car did not sink an inch..Now i have an even bigger problem,i just cannot get the alternator out past the bracket molding and the plastic molding for the rubber hose on the radiator..I have measured the gap and measured the replacement alternator and the width of the alternator is narrower at all points..I find the alternator is around 10mm to wide.. Also i have tried for hours twisting and turning the alternator but to no result,It will not come out..Any ideas...please
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Without having seen your setup, if its similar to the 406 in the layout (apart from the pump it will be I'd guess) , you will need to take the oil filter off (not the housing! just unscrew the filter) for a little bit more clearance. :)

From your description it sounds like you are trying to get it past and out the wing, it will be better taking it out "up" or "down" if possible, not try to exit via the wing.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
roby77

alternator, tensioner renewal

Post by roby77 »

Thanks Spider..but i have already removed the oil filter..Yes i am trying to remove it from the wing side upwards (you cannot take it down)..I think your saying take it inwards towards the center of the car but there are metal hydraulic pipes and numerous rubber pipes in that direction , i cannot see a way in that direction..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Have you removed the intercooler pipe? The rubber one covered in a plastic lattice?

DIY sphere tool
roby77

alt,tensioner

Post by roby77 »

No Xac ..I have not removed that , but i will give it a go...Thanks
roby77

Alt,tensioner

Post by roby77 »

Thanks Xac that did the trick..i will continue on, but i,m sure i'll be back with more problems.. it seems that life and Citroens are sent to try us
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Make sure you do the jubilee clips up nice and tight when you get it back together otherwise the turbo will pop them off :)

Xantias are awesome cars, yes they need a bit of work to get them up to top notch working order after years of dealer "servicing" and ownership by people who've not know their quirks, but most of the work can be done at home and doesn't cost a fortune.

DIY sphere tool
roby77

Post by roby77 »

thanks i will do that.. one other question, i bought the car two weeks ago ,it had 3 owners.. its very tidy ,good bodywork and interior, with 93,000 miles on the clock and 4 new tyres and 4 new spheres..The guy i bought it from said he could'nt guarentee the mileage and said he bought it from a dealer 2 years before with no history and 70,000 on the clock. HPI check said no irregularities on mileage..He also said that the cam belt was changed when he bought the car two years before (no paperwork for proof) and that he had been servicing the car regularily since then...I have since found pure water in the coolant system and the oil very very black and dirty so because of this I am almost tempted to sell the car after repair
,it seems he was not entirely honest..I am sure the car has been well looked after in the past but i think not by this last owner of two years..PS anyway of checking the cam belt..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Xantias can take a hell of a lot of abuse and still bounce back once treated properly.
If the body and interior is sound, and there's no major problems that are expensive to fix, then I'd stick with it.
Change the oil and use an engine flush.
Replace the LHM with hydroflush for 1000miles and then replace it with fresh LHM.
Check the conditions of the spheres, corners by bounce test, accumulator by tick rate of more than 30 seconds (more than 1 minute is better), and anti-sink by any date stamped on it or it's general condition of rust, unless you can make or find someone with a sphere tester.
Lube the height correctors.
Change the fuel filter.
Check the air filter and change if required.
Lift up the seat behind the driver's, pop out the fuel sender unit and clean the gauze filter, put cable ties on the fuel lines so they don't drop off down the side of the tank when you disconnect them.
Check the engine mounts for deteriation, and the wish bone bushes.
Fit the relay mod on the heater blower.
Fit the relay mod to the headlights.

As for the cambelt, if you support the engine on a jack and remove the top engine mount, you can see a couple of inches of the belt.

Sniff the air with the heater on. If it smells of cat pee or curry, then your matrix is leaking. You can try some forte stopleak and buy some time, or bite the bullet and pull out the dashboard to replace the matrix.

So it may look like a lot of things to do/check, none of them are particularly difficult (ok the matrix is longwinded) or particularly expensive.

DIY sphere tool
roby77

alt,tensioner

Post by roby77 »

Great thanks for that..it seems to run very well so i will stick with it