Xsara 2.HDi Coolant problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alwoowar

Xsara 2.HDi Coolant problem.

Post by alwoowar »

I have a V reg xsara 2.0Hdi,passed MOT fine on tuesday. Yesterday I had the red coolant warning light come on,i moved it and it went out when i started the again. Today i done my usual work run of 7 miles,dropped in on my local friendly mechanic who topped up coolant for me,then went out on delivery round. I had done 3 short runs of 3-5miles when i noticed steam coming fom under the bonnet,I couldn't identify properly where it was coming from as it was dark. Car wasn't overheating according to the temperature guage and i have looked to see if the oil cap has had any deposit on,which it hasn't. Also no obvious leakage of fluids underneath. Any suggestions what else i should check for would be appreciated. I'm not experienced although i try to do my own work when needed and have a haines manual so any tips appreciated!

Thanks for looking!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Could be the radiator has rached the end of its life. I had to replace the rad in my Xsara a year or two ago at about the 145,000 mile mark.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
185nick

Post by 185nick »

I had exactly the same problems as you're describing and after lots and lots of investigating it turned out to be the head gasket gone. Funny think was it wasn't showing up on a monoxide test on the coolant resevoir but it was over pressurising the coolant system causing it to blow steam out of the resevoir cap.