changing spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

changing spheres

Post by davethewheel »

can't seem to get the search the forum to work, so could someone please explain how to change the four suspension spheres on a Xantia,
also how much fluid will i lose
cheers
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Here you go Dave.
Just scroll up the page & you'll find a write up I did ages ago & which was kindly put on his site by Dave Woollard as well as a couple of suggestions by Dave himself.
Although this refers to a BX, I think you'll find that all of this applies to a Xantia also.
Alan S
http://www.woollard.com.btinternet.co.u ... ad.htm#ABS
Basically the same but with a comment from John D is:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1695
Simple job that can occasionally find snags. Possibly the best advice anyone can give over & above what has been offered here is to buy a proper sphere removal tool.
Pleiades & Andyspares both sell one for about 30 UK pounds; cheap in comparison to what some of these repairers will charge in labour to do the job.[:D][:D]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I'll go along with what Alan says: best investment or borrowed/hired tool for the job is a sphere removal tool. I was fortunate enough to obtain one of these secondhand, and since then almost any sphere replacement has become much more straightforward. It is possible to improvise, particularly on front spheres where there are no problems of access or road grime, but the rear spheres are another matter entirely, particularly if they'ver been left too long.
The other golden rule I'd suggest is this: if anything unexpected happens, if you can't make progress, or if rear suspension cylinders start to rotate, then stop and ask on a forum like this one. There aren't many pitfalls, but most of them have been experienced and overcome on the forums.
David
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i have made myself a decent removal tool so hopefully all will go well, mind you the rear spheres look very rusty, will tackle them at weekend.
cheers guys thanx for your advice