Starter motor on the way out now !!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Starter motor on the way out now !!!

Post by HDI »

Blimey , my Xantia is really piling on the grief recently !!
Went to leave my mums place last night and all dash lights etc etc were there but engine was not for turning over !!
Having recently fitted a new battery I immediately suspected either it was dead or there was a loose connection but that all checked out , lights worked , central locking worked , electro valves whirred and clicked etc.

The thing that initially threw me was there was absolutely nothing from the starter , no solenoid click , not even a slight attempt to turn , but after a poke around the under bonnet fuse & relay box with no result, I decided to give the starter a few thumps with a hammer shaft. Bingo , it immediately started !!

So , that will be coming off next week for examination. I'm hoping its a faulty solenoid , worn out brushes or something similarly cheap to resolve :? Fingers crossed for that then , it's cost me plenty over the last few weeks.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Probably solenoid from your description.

Obviously check the thin "start" wire is good. I don't need to say the heavy leads should be good ;)

I had someone come to me with a new starter once asking it to be fitted, the only problem with the old one was the thin "start" wire was loose. Saved them a bit of money anyway.

You may find it easier to whip it off and see if you can get it overhauled or the scrap yard will no doubt have a selection.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Yes , I will be checking the solenoid power feed and all other connections, it was just too dark & cold last night for a detailed examination , just wanted to get home !!
Thinking about it I have noticed a couple of occasions over recent days when the starter has sounded a bit slower than normal , we will see !!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
spider

Post by spider »

You might be lucky and just have corrosion on the heavy lead then :)

Could be armature / brushes worn but as you say the usual check of the heavy leads (both ends!) and clean-up is the best way to start. (no pun intended)

Given the huge current needed on a diesel starter anyway, is your battery good ? , what with the cold weather a week battery will be very unwell with the added treat of minus degree temperatures.

:)
Andy.

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The battery was new a few weeks ago so I'm assuming it's good !! Might do a load check for peace of mind :wink:
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
spider

Post by spider »

I just noticed my typo: "week" vs "weak" :oops: , can't be bothered to edit it :D

Yes I had a new battery a couple of months ago and it was shocking :( , ultra low CCA and it would go flat if you did not use it every day.

That's one problem with normally ultra-quick starting engines, you are not always aware of battery problems straight away as you never get to turn the starter really...
Andy.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'd go for the brushes....Might keep 'going' for a while yet with the occasional clonk - my Dad ran his Visa for ages with a dodgy starter - we had to replace the brushes eventually when it need the hammer treatment every start - and sometimes more than once!
Richard W
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

£80 fitted for a refurbed repacement C5 starter motor here in Nottm