zx lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Owen101

zx lights

Post by Owen101 »

Hi can anyone tell me if the headlights (full beam) on ZX volcane are on the outside (near wing) or inside? There are twin h1 bulbs in each light and not sure which is which.

Problems with car:

a)no dim dip with park lights and ignition on.
b)turn on dip lights the right bulb on LHS and RHS come on which seems odd. For dip lights almost sure it should be right bulb for RHS, left bulb for LHS ie the bulbs on the outside. Sorry if this sounds confusing.

There was a repair done to bumper (removed/replaced) a few weeks ago at garage they seem to have messed a few things up. Checked all the bulbs and replaced the relay.

I found one relay (beside fuse board) and one resistor pack (beside horn). Side, main, head light indicator comes on in dash so switch seems to be ok. Any other relays involved? Not really sure how to go about troubleshooting this one.

Cheers.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes you are corect the outside pair are dip and the inside pair are main, but i think all four come on for main beam,

i had a fault on a ZX a while ago were no lights work at all, turned out to be a thick blue feed wire in the bottom of the engine bay fuse box had somehow cit/chafed right through,

regards malcolm
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Are the connectors that go to the bulbs not just mixed up causing the mains to come on with the dipped?

The dim dip might work if you got the dip & main working correctly.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Owen101

Post by Owen101 »

Will check it out. Although there's big rubber caps over where the wires join the bulbs. The wires going through this cap are very tight and not long enough to reach other bulb so probably not much chance of getting them mixed up. Maybe there's more connectors further in on the loom.

If any zx owner (twin h1 bulbs, maybe same in xantia) out there could tell me what happens lights when you turn on park, main with ignition on/off that would be helpful.

Discovered the dim dip resistor had corroded away from its mount and one of the wires had come off. Doubting it but maybe that might do something for the mixed up lights when I replace it.

Also if anyone knows if there is a seperate relay for low/high beam ? Can only find one relay for lights. Pull that out and no lights at all.

Any other ideas pass em on cheers. If all else fails might try joining left/right light wires up for each bulb but doesnt seem like way to go. Probably end up with full headlights and a fire for extra brightness :D