C3 misfire issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dles1966
My Cars:

C3 misfire issues

Post by dles1966 »

Hi, my 05 C3 petrol manual has developed an issue where the idle speed is erratic.

This has now lead to a couple of occasions where the engine management light has come on, on the dash, and the car is running "rumpy" due to a misfire.

The first time it did it the car was running fine, but the second and now third the car is clearly misfiring.

I have an OBD2 reader and the codes it found are

0204 Injector Cylinder Open Cylinder 4
1336 Crank / Cam Sensor Range / Performance
0300 Randon/Cylinder Misfire

Clearly there seems to be an issue, but anyone got any suggestions as to what to do first?

I am assuming the 1336 cam eon because of the misfire.

I am thinking of taking the injector unit off and cleaning all connections, at the same time changing the spark plugs.

Many thanks
dles1966
My Cars:

Post by dles1966 »

Should have said "lumpy" !!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If it's a 1.1 or 1.4 8v engine then water is leaking in throught the washer jet hole in the bonnet & has got into injector number 4 ( the one nearest the timing belt end on citroens). If you unplug the injector you will see traces of corrosion at the base of the injector pins.
You will need to replace the injector & seal the washer jets. Remove the injectors & have a look to confirm.
lasthope

umm

Post by lasthope »

could that be same prob iam having

is it just me with this prob,in the last few month my car has been running bad a say its down to the cold some days it is ok,but last 2 days with the fog my car keeps missing and the engine management light comes on but after about 10mins + its ok but light is still on,its a funny one you can be driving along and the car would die but not cut out after a few secs it would pick up again,i notice if i keep it driving at a steady pace seems ok but when i come to slow down its missing and jerks,but when its warm its ok,

CITROEN XSARA PICASSO 1.8i petrol 51 plate
dles1966
My Cars:

Post by dles1966 »

Hi it's a 14. SX so I guess 8v?

and thanks I will try this in the morning and report back.

Is this a common problem then?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

dles1966 wrote:
Is this a common problem then?
Very common.
dles1966
My Cars:

Post by dles1966 »

Thanks to all, changed the injector today, actually only took about 30 minutes thanks to Haynes manual.

All working fine now and idles much smoother than it has for months!
paulhelliker

Post by paulhelliker »

Sounds the same problem with my Wifes car:

After cold spell before Xmas she did not drive it for about 10 days. When she did the engine light came on and ran badly.

Light went out after a few days but after Xmas she did not use again and had another cold spell and did same again. Garage took a look but could not find anything. Reset the ECU and was ok for about a month.

Since then its been getting worse and worse. Stalling, stuttering etc. Garage suggested it was the coil so I got a new one and replaced that. Runs slightly better and does not stall. LIght still on so the garage reset the ecu again (7 errors - injector 4, misfire etc etc) and within 10 metres came back on!

Perhaps I had better buy a new injector!

So the injector in question is on the left as you look at the engine isn't it?

I looked at the electrical plugs on that one yesterday but could not see any corrosion. Perhaps its just on the injector.....
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

paulhelliker wrote: So the injector in question is on the left as you look at the engine isn't it?

I looked at the electrical plugs on that one yesterday but could not see any corrosion. Perhaps its just on the injector.....
Yes the one on the left if your looking under the bonnet.
You are unlikely to see any corrosion on the plug itself but if you look in at the base of the pins of the injector you will likely see a build up of white corrosion. You wont be able to see it with the injector still fitted to the car unless you use a small mirror & torch.
paulhelliker

Post by paulhelliker »

Thanks. Just waiting for the injector to arrive and will hopefully cure it!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Are injectors expensive for these then?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
paulhelliker

Post by paulhelliker »

I bought the one I have here to fit for £32 on EBay last week. Genuine, new Citroen part. Lot more elsewhere....
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Not too bad then.

Whats the 1.4i C3 like in general? C3s have always been a Citroen ive liked but not had much to do with.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

paulhelliker wrote:I bought the one I have here to fit for £32 on EBay last week. Genuine, new Citroen part. Lot more elsewhere....
Thats a bit of a bargain you got then, they are normally £87 from citroen. The later ones are modified, if you look on the sides of the injectors there are 2 holes (to let the water straight in :twisted: ) , the modified ones have white sealer in them. it would be advisable to put some silicone sealer in the holes if yours is the older type to help prevent it failing again. You should also seal the washer jet bases as this is the actual cause of the failure in the first place.