XUD11ATE vs XUD11BTE

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Geoff Lebowski

XUD11ATE vs XUD11BTE

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Does anyone know the difference between these two engine codes? The XM I am getting claims to have an ATE yet I can\'t tell the difference between that and my Xantia BTE?

Both have Epic pumps which brings me onto my next question.

The XM, although has only covered 95K, has been neglected. As a measure of neglect, the transmission fluid, the LHM fluid and the engine oil were all black. I know............I know.................and I also know what you\'re thinking, but it\'s had a lot of repair overhaul work carried out already and it\'ll cost me time, gas and wire to \'buy\' it from my mate.

So, cut to the chase. The Epic pump runs on for a few seconds after switching off. I believe this is probably due to a worn/perished rubber seat on an electro valve. I think I\'d be better off fitting my Xantia pump & injectors. Even though they have covered nearly 160K, they had no issues, but at what point, does an Epic call it a day, even with the tenderest of care?
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Surely retro fitting a bosch is the answer!!
(although i guess you would lose the MPG calculation)
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: XUD11ATE vs XUD11BTE

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Geoff, pleased to see you're back on :D

I've no idea of the ATE and BTE differences either....
Geoff Lebowski wrote:The Epic pump runs on for a few seconds after switching off.
All EPICs run on for a while in my experience and nothing like the dead stop of a mechanical pump. Only for a tic or so though...

If the running on is bothersome and the engine management light is not coming on, it may not be the ESOS valves but an air leak. EPICs are horribly sensitive to airleaks anywhere. Leakoff pipes are the top suspect and ebven a tiny leaks gives the EPIC grief..

They also cannot tolerate a dirty fuel filter..
Geoff Lebowski wrote:but at what point, does an Epic call it a day, even with the tenderest of care?
Never, never, never! That's if the y are run on good DERV. Veg is out.

ESOS failure is denoted by a long time to stop and the EM light illuminating because the pump had to take drastic measures with itself to stop.

Otherwise, they just go on and on and on like all Lucases. they may weep a bit but they are repairable and a damm sight easier than a Bosch..

EPIC rocks :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

davetherave wrote:Surely retro fitting a bosch is the answer!!
To what Dave? Spoiling the car?

Why anyone would want to replace an EPIC with the grossly inferior Bosch is way beyond me...

:P

EPIC is good, EPIC is great, I love EPIC :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

To run on vegetable oil I'd imagine ;)
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

To run on vegetable oil I'd imagine
Indeed! why pay for diesel!
GPZ500s
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I agree davetherave.

I want to do a 2.1TD + Bosch pump conversion in my Activa. I'm already sick of the CT engine!
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

That sounds like the perfect car!
GPZ500s
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

That's what I was thinking!

Edit - speaking of which there's a 2.1TD Xantia for sale a few miles from me for £600, I want to go test it and see what I think of the xud11 engine. Could be a potential donor car?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dommo wrote:I want to do a 2.1TD + Bosch pump conversion in my Activa. I'm already sick of the CT engine!
Doable quite easily Dom :D The CT engine is almost just a petrol version of the 2.1TD... mechanicals are the same although the gearbox is a tad shorter..

I trust the fuel consumption is the ONLY thing you're sick of on the CT!!!
Jim

Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

It just feels gutless, I know I'm used to a 1.9TD engine that'll happily pull up hills at just under 2000 rpm as well as pull hard right up to 5000, so it's not really fair. But it does feel fairly gutless except at full chat, ie it's difficult to drive at a moderate pace. Hard to describe really.

The main worry for me is wiring, for example the clocks, could I leave the current ones in and the needle would only go as far as 5000? Or if I changed the clocks does the current loom plug straight in? Are the RPM sensors and things taken from the same place and in the same way?

Cheers. Dom.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dommo wrote:It just feels gutless..
Summat wrong there then Dom. It should be able to uproot treetrunks.

Do you want to satrt a new thread in the Activa area to discuss a 2.1TD conversion? It's an interesting subject.
Jim

Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Done :lol:
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

My CT was far from gutless. It had no problems out running a BMW 325ci and even on the standard turbo, did a 16.3 at santa pod which isnt that bad at all. When i finished with it, it was definatly a mid 15 second car with 0-60 below 8 seconds. You'll struggle to get a modded 2.1 TD to get that performance.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Thanks Jim. I still can\'t access the sites without a proxy server and the first one I used allowed access, but wanted to charge me a monthly fee for logging onto forums. So I had to find one that would do it for free. So here I am!

Well certainly I prefer Bosch over Lucas Cav in a BX. It doesn\'t start quite so well, but it does operate at higher pressures and provides more torque. It\'s also easily tunable/adjustable and seal kits are inexpensive.

That said, the torque on the EPIC was.......er........EPIC! I had just heard about poor longevity issues with them, even though the one on the Xantia has been 100% faultless in the 9 years we\'ve had it. Now you mention the run-on Jim, it rings a bell, but only for 1/2 a second or so. The XM does it for 2 or 3 seconds.........and the EMU light has come on! Only problem is I can\'t read it.

I\'ve always used good diesel in the Xantia, so I think maybe a pump and injector swap may be a good idea, despite the extra mileage? My slight concern being that the XM is an Auto and the Xantia is a manual, so is it easy to swap the black box of tricks on top of the pump (assuming it is that & the ECU which is bespoke to auto vs manual gearbox operation)

I didn\'t know they were as robust as you say Jim - comforting information as it was the death of the EPIC in the Xantia that frightened me!

regarding veg oil, after reading and seeing various the various harmful aspects, the only benefit would be cost - but it\'s barely cheaper than diesel fuel so I wonder why people still use it?