Xantia Clutch Clip Job-Schoolboy Error

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Xantia Clutch Clip Job-Schoolboy Error

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I should have done a little drawing of how the spring on the clutch pedal was fitted before I removed the pedal! The forum has some good stuff on the clutchclip job but before I reassemble the pedal I would appreciate some help.

I have a Xantia 1.9TD SX M registration. It has a manually adjustable cable and I presume a pull-type operation. This would suggest that the arrangement of the spring is to facilitate return of the pedal to its normal resting position following disengagement of the clutch.

It probably would be easier with pictures and I have the pedal and all its bits and bobs on the table in front of me on the table. For the purpose of my query left is the side nearest the heater and right is the side nearest the door.

1 Does the spring and its plastic bush fit on the right side of the pedal?
2 Which part of the pedal does one of the "arms" of the spring attach to?
eg of possibilities-top surface of pedal next to plastic clip fitting; under-surface of pedal

3 Where does the "other arm" of the spring attach?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Neil
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On a manual adjust cable the spring pushes the pedal down. I can't remember exactly how it fits, but I'd have thought which side of the peda should be relatively obvious. The sping hooks over the front of the pedal, and round the pedal box - this should help you to figure out which way round. It is, however, a right PITA to get it back on!
Richard W
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Does this help at all. :D

The clutch clip is an hours work, when you have done a few.....

Regards
Martin.
NewcastleFalcon

Xantia Clutch Pedal Spring

Thanks for your replies. I have attempted to post some pictures for the first time-apologies in advance if they are too big/small or out of focus. I can maufacture at least four ways of orienting the spring clip, 2 with the bush/spring on right-side, 2 with bush/spring on left side. Still not sure where the leg not on the pedal itself is mounted. Is there a hole in the pedal "box" it hangs off? Any further thoughts much appreciated.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Edit: Below is rubbish... you want the pedal end of the spring to act on the front of the pedal below the pivot point to drive it downwards - more like 1, but I don't know where you are going to put the pedal box end of the spring? Is there a witness mark on the pedal where the spring has rubbed the paint off previously?

Pretty sure Pic 2 is the correct orientation. From what I remember the spring 'just' 8-) hooks over the pedal box. The picture Martin posted is for later cars that have a coil spring on the side. Is there a boss on the RHS of the pedal - it looks like the boss on the LHS is the correct size for the nylon bush.

I'd rather not find out that I can do it in an hour if that involves doing it more than once :lol:
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

The boss each side of the pedal is the same so it could have the spring assembly either side.
Fitting on the LHS is the only option to place one arm of the spring on the upper surface of the pedal itself below the pivot bolt.
(as in my previous picture 1).

I'll use this as my first approach and see if it becomes a little more obvious where the other arm of the spring attaches.

If anyone has a Xantia 1.9TD of a similar vintage to mine with a functioning clutch pedal would it be possible to have a feel/look and confirm whether the spring hooks on the upper or under surface of the pedal shaft ? and confirm whether the spring assembly is LHS or RHS.

From what has been said so far I would guess upper surface of pedal shaft for the spring hook and LHS for the spring assembly to be the most likely.

Thanks for your help

Neil
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Hello Falcon,

I've just had a look at mine, and it is like your 1st pic.

The spring is on the left as you face the front and the arm is hooked over the pedal on the top.

I will post a scan from the BOL later.
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Here you go mate.

Clickable link

You can't see the arm over the pedal because there is a big fat thumb in the way. But you get the idea.

Hope this helps.
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Martin I appreciate your efforts upside down in the footwell of your car to help me out-thats the confirmation I was looking for
all the best
Neil
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

No worries mate,

I needed to stretch me lower back anyways. :lol:

Have fun assembling...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

thank god for auto adjust cables :lolsign:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Nigle wrote
"thank god for auto adjust cables"

why's that Nigle as they all have the the same type of clip fitting were the cable attatch's to the pedle,

i would rather have a manualy adjustable dable any day,

regards malcolm
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

really not worth stressing too much about the spring as it's not vital, the clutch will operate fine without it, it just keeps the pedal at a steady height. As for self adjust cables s--t. Complete waste of time. how hard is it to slacken a nut once a year?