Picasso strange running

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fifth_cit
My Cars:

Picasso strange running

Post by fifth_cit »

Hi all,
Although not new to the forum, this is my first post.

A friend of mine has an 02 Plate Picasso 2.0 Hdi 90 with 87k on the clock.
It starts from cold without any problem and will run ok but as soon as he stops it it will not start for at least 15 mins, then its ok again.

He had a diagnostic done which indicated a problem with the crank shaft sensor which was replaced - no change.

Since then he has had various jobs done including new injectors and a new HP pump and it still the problem persists.

Any ideas anyone ?
regards

Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
Previous Citroens:-
05 C5 Facelift VTR 2.0Hdi
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Probably the cam sensor then, the engine needs both working to start up, but can run with either of them not working once its started, but if you stop the engine and one of the sensors has a hot fault, you wont be able to restart till the offending sensor has cooled down and started working again

If he has lexia or access to lexia, you can view the cam/crank sync status in live data and see if it goes out of sync once the engine has warmed up
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

TopDonkey wrote:the engine needs both working to start up, but can run with either of them not working once its started, but if you stop the engine and one of the sensors has a hot fault
Thats only true of the camshaft sensor, the engine wont run without the crank sensor.
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I thought it worked both way on the EDC15C2 ECU ?, it was supposed to be able to calculate the cam or the crank position from either of the signals, but needed both to start the engine to work out the initial position ?

I could be wrong as its been a long time since i did my training on HDI's. I usually stick an oscilloscope on the outputs on both sensors to see which one has failed as that identifies the problem instantly
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Needs to see both cam & crank sync for engine to start but will run perfect if cam sensor disconnected. If the crank sensor is disconnected when the engine is running it will stop straight away.
I totally agree though that by far the best (& most accurate) way to check both sensors is with a scope.
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

Thank you both for the quick response, I will let him know and post the outcome.

regards

Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

New cam sensor has been fitted and the car is running perfectly.

Thank you both for your help.
regards

Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

Have to open this one up again as the problem has re-occurred.

My mate had the Cam sensor fitted and all seemed well but over the weekend he took the car for a run that got it nicely warmed up and when he stopped he had to wait for an hour before it would start again.

Any ideas as to what the problem is ?
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD