Fuel leak in Xsara 2nd Gen. 2.0 HDi 110

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mtkoskin
My Cars:

Fuel leak in Xsara 2nd Gen. 2.0 HDi 110

Post by mtkoskin »

Hi everybody!

This is my first message to the board ...

Hope you can give me some clues how to fix the leak in my 2nd gen. Xsara.

The problem is that MOT failed because of this leak. The leak is coming under the fuel tank. To be more precise the diesel is coming from the front side of the tank. Also, the pump seems very wet from above when looking under the right-hand side backseat.

So, my conclusion is that if it is the pump that is faulty it is leaking upwards. That's seems to be quite far fetched. The other possibility is that one of the fuel lines (supply or return) is leaking. Maybe this latter option is more obvious. It seems that the fuel is flowing along the side of the tank and dripping to ground. The speed of the leak is maybe one drop / 10 sek. It seems that it doesn't matter if the car is running or not.

Do you have any ideas how to find out which line is the problem or is it really the pump that has failed and is leaking upwards.

Thank you very much for all comments and help!

-Mikko
howiedean
My Cars:

Re: Fuel leak in Xsara 2nd Gen. 2.0 HDi 110

Post by howiedean »

mtkoskin wrote:Hi everybody!

This is my first message to the board ...

Hope you can give me some clues how to fix the leak in my 2nd gen. Xsara.

The problem is that MOT failed because of this leak. The leak is coming under the fuel tank. To be more precise the diesel is coming from the front side of the tank. Also, the pump seems very wet from above when looking under the right-hand side backseat.

So, my conclusion is that if it is the pump that is faulty it is leaking upwards. That's seems to be quite far fetched. The other possibility is that one of the fuel lines (supply or return) is leaking. Maybe this latter option is more obvious. It seems that the fuel is flowing along the side of the tank and dripping to ground. The speed of the leak is maybe one drop / 10 sek. It seems that it doesn't matter if the car is running or not.

Do you have any ideas how to find out which line is the problem or is it really the pump that has failed and is leaking upwards.

Thank you very much for all comments and help!

-Mikko
Has it had a new tank pump fitted recently? It could be leaking from the seal around large black plastic nut that is holding in the fuel pump/sender.
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
mtkoskin
My Cars:

Post by mtkoskin »

No new pump fitted recently. The only thing is that it was in MOT which includes the suspension test which really shakes the car. Also, it was quite cold day (-20C degrees). Maybe some connector was frozen and broke when in test.

Confusing is that it is leaking when engine running and when engine is turned off. But the leak is so small I cannot tell where it is going. It's making me mad!
---
2002 Xsara Break Aut. 2.0 HDi 110