Oil accumulation C5 Hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kaostheory
My Cars:

Oil accumulation C5 Hdi

Post by kaostheory »

Hi guys,

decided to have a proper look over the under bonnet area today and everything is extremely clean except for one part.

I am guessing this is an EGR? there is oil covering it and pooling in the cavity below it. Its not flowing and looks like its accumulated over time..

Any ideas?

Rhys
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That's odd - I'm sure I don't have one of them there.
Is yours a series 2 C5?
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Nope mk1 52 plate LX Estate
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sorry, I was mistaken, there is indeed such a gubbins right there, never taken much notice I suppose.

kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

And so poses the question, what is it and why is mine covered in oil? and furthermore how can i sort it out??
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My guess would be the swirl valve actuator, I'm sure the EGR is attached to the exhaust manifold. I have been wrong before though and I'm sure Wheeler will put us straight when he looks in.

Pull it off and clean it and the pipes attached, replace any that are split or hardened.
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

Hi, it is not swirl - that is fitted only on the 2.0 16V HDi engine. The one on the picture works togeher with the EGR valve as it (partly) closes the air inlet, when the exhaust gases should be recycled.

But the oil sea you see in the cavity is probably not coming from the valve. Have seen another HDis without that valve but also spilled with oil the same way. It must come somewehre from under the plastic valve cover :-( So do not worry about!

Karel
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

If you look closely at the picture the actual sensor/valve is coated in oil aswell so it looks like this is the origin of the leak
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

marsalek wrote:Hi, it is not swirl - that is fitted only on the 2.0 16V HDi engine. The one on the picture works togeher with the EGR valve as it (partly) closes the air inlet, when the exhaust gases should be recycled.
Thats quite correct, the item in question is the EGR throttle butterfly which is there to assist the actual EGR valve by strangling the incoming air. Its vaccum operated via one of the three electrovalves.
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Thanks for confirmation Wheeler!

Any ideas what would cause this oil build up and do i need to replace the part?

Also any ideas on where i can source this part or a price at least online?
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Anyone got any ideas before i have to resort to taking it a main dealer to be ripped off??

Rhys
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

If I were you, I wouldn't take care of it. You can just clean it a bit and watch, from where exactly it comes. As long as the engine oil is not disappearing too fast, it is fine :-)

The butterfly valve is a bit moist, as the inlet air after the turbocharger always contains some oil. No turbocharger is 100% tight!

Karel
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

The whole outside of the butterfly is caked in the stuff.. if you cpmpare my pics and the other one further down the post you'll see the diff its pretty massive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's quite often you see a lot of caked muck on those after a few miles. I could take a picture of the similar thing on one of my Activas. An otherwise clean engine but the breather looks like it's wearing an oily fur coat... Diesel ones seem even worse.

Give it a good clean and watch it as Karel suggests. It carries a lot of oil vapour and mist and what you're seeing is just condensate.

It's almost normal. If the connections to it are reasonably tight and the engine otherwise runs fine, just clean it every now and again and worry not.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...