Coolant Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

blueboy2001

Coolant Leak

Post by blueboy2001 »

My Xantia is leaking a small amount of coolant, not huge amounts, but the level in the tank dropped about 250ml in 2500 miles. Its not causing any problems as such, but it does leave a small spot under the car when parked. I thought it was an oil leak at first, but its definitely water based so it can only be coolant or screenwash, I think its the former.
The leak is on the left hand side of the engine bay, and it drips down the back of the block and over the rear engine mount to the floor. Are there any coolant hoses in this area that could be the source of the leak? If not then it must be the head gasket but it runs really well and I don't fancy changing it unless I have to.
Any ideas as to the source of the leak, and how I can trace it?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yes there are pipes going accross the back of the block to a water housing near the pump, aswell as pipes going up to the matrix.
Get on the ramps and have a good look round.
Dave
fastred
My Cars:

Post by fastred »

Hi,
My Xantia had the identical symptoms - turned out to be a leak from the plastic header tank, along one of seams. Worth having a good look to see if there is any whitish encrustation anywhere on the horizontal moulding line. Sods law will dictate that if there is such a leak it will be on the bulkhead side of the tank and you will not be able to see it without lifting the tank out.
Apparently most dealers keep a stock of replacement header tanks as this is a not uncommon problem.
Fastred