S2 Xantia crystal clear headlights?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

S2 Xantia crystal clear headlights?

Post by Dommo »

Hi folks

I was wondering if anyone's ever found a set of clear headlights for a Xantia?

I'm considering trying to butcher a set of headlights to fit projectors in there, but I'd need a clear glass bit or the light beam will go everywhere!

I know about the legality of it all but with projectors and clear glass the light beam should be good and not be an issue.

Cheers.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Dommo, if you want to change the headlamps in your Xantia, about the only 'upgrade' available in the market is a Morrette Quad headlamp system. I am not sure if it is still available through factors, as the cars are now so old, but they do appear from time to time on Ebay. Originally, the kit was in excess of £400, and even secondhand kits still cost money. The Hella lamps are about £120 each list.

As for doing home modifications, it might be wise to talk to your insurers and have a look at the Construction & Use Regulations covering motor vehicles. If you look at a headlamp, there are an awful lot of certifications cast into the glass to ensure it all complies with something.

Have you checked that you are getting 12V at the headlamps? Wiring on most cars is woefully inadequate and a few simply upgrades like better connections, better earthing and larger cabling can transform the light output. Even a change of lamps can make a huge difference. I have sorted a lot of lighting systems for people on Citroens and they are staggered at the difference a few mods can make.

Check through the archives on the Forum as it has been a very regular topic.

Lastly, have you tried cleaning the headlamp lenses? :lol: :lol:

Handyman
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

handyman wrote:Hi Dommo, if you want to change the headlamps in your Xantia, about the only 'upgrade' available in the market is a Morrette Quad headlamp system. I am not sure if it is still available through factors, as the cars are now so old, but they do appear from time to time on Ebay. Originally, the kit was in excess of £400, and even secondhand kits still cost money. The Hella lamps are about £120 each list.

As for doing home modifications, it might be wise to talk to your insurers and have a look at the Construction & Use Regulations covering motor vehicles. If you look at a headlamp, there are an awful lot of certifications cast into the glass to ensure it all complies with something.

Have you checked that you are getting 12V at the headlamps? Wiring on most cars is woefully inadequate and a few simply upgrades like better connections, better earthing and larger cabling can transform the light output. Even a change of lamps can make a huge difference. I have sorted a lot of lighting systems for people on Citroens and they are staggered at the difference a few mods can make.

Check through the archives on the Forum as it has been a very regular topic.

Lastly, have you tried cleaning the headlamp lenses? :lol: :lol:

Handyman
I've not checked the voltage at the headlights, it's just dip beam that seems a bit gash, however the nearside dip beam bulb went the other day (after 3 days of me using the car :lol: ) so it could be voltage issues.

The battery could do with replacing too actually so I reckon the voltage must drop quite a lot when the engine is turned on/off or nearly stalled (coming from an XUD almost any petrol is easy to stall ;) ).

I saw a video on youtube where someone basically fitted a set of projectors into a normal housing and I thought, yeah that looks like a daft idea but I bet it's an improvement, and it shouldn't blind people with it being a projector the HID bulb is in.

I will check the voltage at the bulbs later on if I get time. Cheers!
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Looks to me that you've answered your own post. You need another couple of volts, methinks.

But did you know that S2 glass is bonded to the unit? And S1 shape is different to S2 shape.

Last year I imported a RHD into France and had to change the lights. There was no choice but to change the units as a whole. A pity, 'cos in the Mk1 you can change just the glass.

A bigger pity was that the UK lights had done only 38000miles, with headlight protectors as well. So they are as good as new, languishing in my garage. If I could get the glass off then I could mix and match with the s/h French units I fitted.

I've always found Xantia lights (two S2 cars) to be ok. But then for the last 15 years or so I've only bought 80's / 90's cars, no fancy lights around in them days.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Do you find there are a lot of darker patches in the beams' wash over the road?
Even after greatly correcting the alignment on Juliet, her lights although extremely bright, aren't that pleasant to use (better than many cars I've driven though!)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I can't remember to be honest Xac, I'll have to check tonight because I've not driven much at night, I just noticed it wasn't very good.

Phase 3 Peugeot 306 glass/plastic are glued in but sticking them in the oven for a bit softens the glue and you can get them apart.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Chance are your headlight alignment although MoT passable is no good for actual driving.
Cassy and Juliet needed realigning, Juliet's beams crossed so her NS was actually pointing over the other side of the white line!
Thankfully not high enough to dazzle oncomin traffic, but totally useless for driving.

DIY sphere tool
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I'll have to get it checked out, although it has just passed an MOT but they probably don't check it that well?

Do you just adjust the lights so they point straight?

Thanks.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I set mine to shine on the area I look at most when driving without dazzling on coming drivers.
So OS lights up ahead, NS lights up ahead and gutter/pavement.

I saw the mot tester check Juliets lights and I have no idea how he could have passed them being crossed.
Her NS was adjusted all the way to the right!

DIY sphere tool
colinxm
My Cars:

Post by colinxm »

Hi Dommo, why don't you just get a cheapo HID kit from ebay ? I fitted one of these a couple of years ago to my xm and the difference is amazing ! The HID's also use less wattage than standard halogen bulbs.
I fitted a 4300K set which gives a lovely, white light, doesn't have the blueish colour beloved of the boy racers and doesn't dazzle anyone - one of the advantages of Citroen self levelling suspension :D Worth every penny.

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate
2004 Pug 307 SW
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Cheers Xac, I'll have a look at that when I can.

Colin - I wanted to do it the 'proper' way, as the majority of HID kits you see just shine blue light absolutely everywhere because of the reflector housing and the light deflecting bits on the glass, classic Impreza's and Corsa B's seem bad for it.

So fitting projectors with clear glass on the lights is the 'best' way to go about it from what I can tell, but I just can't find any clear lights, was hoping some Xantias came with them but it seems not, so a kit like you suggest may be on the cards.

Cheers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dom,

Do the headlight relay mod. You'll then say "HIDs, pah! who needs 'em!"

I've just been out in my Activa (which has the mod) and it's like driving with a couple of football stadium floodlamps on the front of the car.

And that's on a MK1.

Contrast with my V6 which is unmodified. I've seen brighter glow worms. I really must do the mod on the V6. Been saying that for ages now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
colinxm
My Cars:

Post by colinxm »

Jim, "Headlamp relay mod" What's that then ? do tell :P

Cheers Colin.P (still think HID is the way to go)
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate
2004 Pug 307 SW
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's basically a couple of relays Colin, one operated on dip and the other on main beam, and used to switch a supply direct from the battery to the headlamps thus avoiding the resistance and consequent voltage drip incurred in the lightswitch and wiring to and from. All the former wiring does is operate a couple of relays.

I've not done the mod myself (yet) so cannot specifically say how it is done. My Activa was already done when I took custody.

It may be documented somewhere on here but I don't recall ever seeing it.

All I know is it works!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is a thread with a fair bit of info here