XUD Bosch fuel pump leak.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cox377

XUD Bosch fuel pump leak.

Post by cox377 »

Hello All,

My xantias pump as developed a leak, it appears like it's coming from the accelerator arm seam as it leaks down both sides of the pump, from top down. Does anyone know where I can get a new seal from or have a part No. Has anyone changed one of these seals out before?

Much appreciated as always

coxen
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Hi coxen,

Are you running on veg oil?

Mine developed a leak like yours when I ran her on 100% veg. After cutting back to about 85% she was OK.

I'm sure Jim will post a reply soon, he is the man for fuel pumps.
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Coxen,

It's most likely the shaft bush has worn oval and a new seal might not be the cure. If you intend to keep the car you might want to consider replacing all the seals and giving the internals a good clean?

Try this thread for some insight http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=28590
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

It did appear to start leaking once I went into veg. I may well try what you said, RE go back 15%, however, maybe in summer when it's warm it wont be so thick?

The problem with stripping the pump down completely, I dont have another car to use whilst it's off the road having a full strip down. I've never done a strip down before on one of these pump, what sort of time frame would I be looking at? I'm assuming it's a pump off job.

CoXen
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I dont know anything about the quality but they are selling brand new bosch pumps on flea-bay for £102 just in case its more economical to replace it than repoair it. search for Bosch fuel pump.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

cox377 wrote: It did appear to start leaking once I went into veg. I may well try what you said, RE go back 15%, however, maybe in summer when it's warm it wont be so thick?
Don't be too hasty in stripping the pump down. Have you checked the return to tank pipe? This blocks very easily when on veg, and makes it look like your pump is leaking heavily.
cox377

Post by cox377 »

I thought at first it was a blocked leak off pipe but changed that out. It's leaking down both sides of the pump, it doesnt appear to be leaking much but I've dropped down to 30mpg

I have a 406 with the same pump sitting with engine failure, I could swap the pump out but I'm trying to look for the quickest solution. Buying a new one is out of the question really due to funds.

If it's not a major job to change this seal, I maybe just change that and see what happens, I need to have a proper look at that tutorial later.

Wheres the best place to get the seal from

CoXen
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

This might help- It is a link to Jim's site.

http://www.eastment.net/Boschpump1.htm

Hope it helps.
cox377

Post by cox377 »

I dont believe this, I had a clear out the other week and threw one of these pumps out, it had been in the rain for 5 years so no good for operation but would habe been good for doing a test run

Doh!!

CoXen
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

My dad had this problem on his Mk1 VSX he went back to a tank full of diesel and the leaking stopped again.
he is now running 7% rug (petrol) in veg oil instead of the initial 5%. and the leaking has stopped.
But he does also have an inline fuel line heater, which is run for about ten mins before start up.
perhaps considering a fuel line heater could be the answer, momentarily going back to diesel could replenish the seals enough to stop the leak.

I filter all my veg oil to 1 micron even if I dont need to it saves changing the fuel filter quite so often. how low are you going in comparison?

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
cox377

Post by cox377 »

I filter through a sock system believe it or not. I've always made bio, for years but moved to veg for the last 2 months as I've not had time to make bio with all my time being spent at a house I'm trying to get done. It's a basic way of filtering but only changed the fuel filter twice in quite a few 1000 miles

CoXen
falling-out-with-my-car

might be worth a look here www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk
for more answers to bosch pump problems running on Veg oil as opposed to diesel.

regards Nigel.
cox377

Post by cox377 »

lol found this site through the veg oil site,

I think I'll look to change out the O rings opposed to changing the fuel for the moment.

Can anyone recommend where to get them?

CoXen
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's ten year old rubber that's hardened combined with the increased strain internal pressue of running on thicker fuel, and in many cases a blocked pipe back to the fuel tank (not leak off pipes, but the one fro the pump back to the tank), that's all.
Cassy ran on 100% veg for over 2 years before her pump started weeping, while others have had it happen after a few months.
The veg just exposes a weakness that was already there but not enough to leak under diesel.

Replace the seals or replace the pump with one that's either had it's immobiliser disabled or from a pre-immobiliser car.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

Xac, the next question would be can I get mine imobilised then?

it does sound as though a tank full of diesel might clear that blockage problem then on the return line?

Coxen where abouts are you based? and do you let your veg oil stand indoors for a couple of weeks to make sure any extra muck drops out to the bottom of the container, (some wives won't allow this unfortunately).

cheers Nigel.