Mr bxman thank you very much.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Mr bxman thank you very much.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

sorry Mods I know its not really the place but Ive got to say a big thank you to bx man if he's still around because this one has been haunting me for years.

Thank you for finding a way to turn off my airbag light on my Mk2 xantia.
I didnt get around to trying it out until today when I replaced my steering column.

absolutely brilliant no more airbag light irritating me as it flashes happily away and stays on after 5 mins. the modification was nice and simple and the ecu is no longer connected. my dad wants his done to now on his Mk1, brilliant.

thank you very much.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No worries at all Nigel,

Pleased it has all worked out good for you :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Resistor in leu of airbag ? (so the ECU "thinks" the airbag is connected when it is not = only pre-tensioners function)

Unless I mis-understood the original post, sorry for being nosey :D
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No apologies needed, just the opposite, it is heartening to see thanks for a successful outcome after following someone's advice.
howiedean
My Cars:

Re: Mr bxman thank you very much.

Post by howiedean »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:sorry Mods I know its not really the place but Ive got to say a big thank you to bx man if he's still around because this one has been haunting me for years.

Thank you for finding a way to turn off my airbag light on my Mk2 xantia.
I didnt get around to trying it out until today when I replaced my steering column.

absolutely brilliant no more airbag light irritating me as it flashes happily away and stays on after 5 mins. the modification was nice and simple and the ecu is no longer connected. my dad wants his done to now on his Mk1, brilliant.

thank you very much.

regards Nigel.
It can be annoying, did you not have any joy in trying to fix the problem?
I'm not sure if other car makes have the same problems however Citroen should have used more secure airbag curcuit connectors under the seats!

Good to hear your sorted though.
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
spider

Post by spider »

:D

Oh I understand now, ignore my previous post.

The usual connectors to the pre-tensioners under the seats trouble then, 306's like to suffer with this too. :)
Andy.

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Spider Not even the pretensioners work hopefully because the ECU is completely disconnected.

SORRY TO SHOUT BUT BEFORE UNDERGOING ANY OF THIS PROCEEDURE YOU MUST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TERMINALS AND WAIT AT LEAST 15 MINS FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM TO DISCHARGE COMPLETELY, wouldnt want an airbag going off in your face. after you have done this there is no reason to fear the airbag system, even I have dropped the steering wheel air bag once disconected into the footwell CRINGED and said the preverbial words OH sH**. expecting an explosion. LOL.

the ecu located in my xantia Mk2 under the panel in the centre consul beneath the ashtray, is disconnected.

once disconnected the orange plug that plugs into the ecu on inspection has 18 holes in it for 18 pins.

at one end of the orange plug below pin1 & 2 is a wide slot.

Bx mans instructions were to cut a small lenght of pvc wire insulation flatten one end and insert in the wide slot below Pins 1 & 2, you will need to cut a piece of insulation long enough to pull out again if it doesnt work very well, you also have to push the pvc insulation into the slot quite hard.

the numbers are on the ecu but so small you will need a magnifying glass to see which pins are which, you then have to reverse the numbers to see which slot you need to insert the pvc insulation into on the plug, once you have it,
it is very straight forward. I didnt bother reconnecting the plug just taped it to the top of the ecu. after putting some tape around the pvc insulation to hold it into the orange plug.

the airbag light doesnt even light up on ignition anymore.it stays off permanantly.

to those of you who dont understand my reasons for wanting to shut down the airbag system completely, it operates seatbelt tensioners which would be detremental to my health if they were to fire and pull tight across my middle. Its good to get around the hug a hoody state once again, when I wrote to citroen in slough asking for help turnning off the airbag system they refused to help me out as I might sue them if itn all whent T*Ts up..
so much for freedom of choice.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
spider

Post by spider »

Hmm OK. :)

Although I would of said (not tested it myself and this is ONLY theoretical!) , the same effect could be achived by simply unplugging the A/B ecu, and (for the more concerned) the rotary switch and / or pretensioner plugs...

But anyway, you have it the way you wanted it.
Andy.

falling-out-with-my-car

yes we tried all that spider and it did work except to say for the light not going out, I had already disconnected the wires under the seats & unplugged the ECU but the dam light wouldn't go out, this way it turns it off for good, and for some strange reason my diesel preheater light goes out a lot faster now, maybe the airbag ECU draws so much current on start up that it delays the glow plug warm up time. so following the above instructions seems to have paid off in more than one way.

regards Nigel.
bxman
My Cars:

subject

Post by bxman »

As I recall.
The credit should go to wheeler for pointing me in the right direction,
by the time I had stumbled on the answer the thread had been locked so I am sorry the information was not shared earlier.
Nigel has I think explained everything perfectly.
I am like him so happy not to be wondering when that wrenched yellow light is going to come on again.
best wishes to everyone

Patrick
with a full 364 day MOT test certificate !!
falling-out-with-my-car

:notworthy: WHEELER :notworthy: