C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX Estate questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kaostheory
My Cars:

C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX Estate questions

Post by kaostheory »

Hi All,

I am an ex peugeot 406 hdi 90 owner but sadly my 2001 406 died 2 days ago with a modest 290k miles on it ( fuel pressure regulator fault ), so I have bought myself a 52 plate C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX Estate with 90k miles for £1800. It is immaculately clean inside and out.

So I have a few questions i would be very grateful if you guys could help me with.

Firstly even though this is a 110 it feels markedly slower in acceleration that my 406 hdi 90, is this normal.

Secondly is there anyway i can upgrade/retrofit features that higher spec'd C5's for example trip computer/digital climate control instead of manual. Also cruise control and i have heard talk of a usb box for the stereo, are any of these features available for my car?

Thanks in advance.

Rhys
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

USB box only works on mk2 onwards.
CC can be fitted by adding the stalk + additional brake light switch & reconfiguring the injection ECU with a Lexia.
The trip computer should be a straight swap + reprogram BSI but only if you have the button on the end of the stalk.
The digital A/C is a bit more involved & would require the replacement of the heater box (dashboard out job) + adding the ECU & loom.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX Estate questions

Post by Paul-R »

kaostheory wrote:Firstly even though this is a 110 it feels markedly slower in acceleration that my 406 hdi 90, is this normal.
The C5 is quite a heavy car so it's no ball of fire. My C5 110 also feels less accelerative than my Xsara 90.
kaostheory wrote:Secondly is there anyway i can upgrade/retrofit features that higher spec'd C5's for example trip computer/digital climate control instead of manual. Also cruise control and i have heard talk of a usb box for the stereo, are any of these features available for my car?
I suppose that anything is possible but realistically:

trip computer - I think that is a matter of changing the diplay unit from a type A to type B and then setting the option with a Lexia

digital climate control instead of manual - not really feasible as it's a huge job

cruise control - Just a matter of fitting the stalk and then setting the option with a Lexia

a usb box for the stereo - Not sure for the Phase I but I've seen posts here for fitting to a Phase II. If you don't have a CD multichanger under the driver's seat then I think it might be possible. Perhaps someone who has done it to a Phase I knows for sure. It'll need the Lexia to set the option though

As you can see, for many operations, it's not just a matter of fitting the part you also have to set ECU to recognise that it ha been fitted.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Thanks for the replies!!

Looks like i will have to fit an aftermarket head unit then as i cant deal with cd's!!!!!

Anyone got the part numbers for the stalk and brake switch?

Also when you say straight swap for the trip comp does it replace the display at eye level which displays track data for the cd player date time and temp? How hard is it the replace?

Are these cars any better with an ecu remap for power?
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi kaos

I'm same boat too!

Mine is C5 02 HDi auto so cannot say I was overly impressed with performance but had the Synergy 1 recommended to sort out the power, bl**dy heck! it did just that.

It has a range of 9 settings and I've been thru the play stage, ie. setting 9 & wheel spins from lights etc. but now using on 6 for economy and much improved throttle response, torque etc. best £159 I spent in a long time.

Read about it at

http://tuning-diesels.com/

both the guys are very helpful and with a money back guarantee etc. you can't go wrong.

Kevin
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

I have already got one i know rover ron pretty well from the mg-rover forums lol

I had it for my peugeot 406 hdi and it made a massive improvement.
amjake

Post by amjake »

Job done!

I know from his pages you can send unit back for plug change and reset to the C5 should save a bob or two!
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Sorry, no part numbers as my car already has them.

You may already have the type B display. The type A has only two lines of iformation and (I think - it's been a long time since I changed the display over on the Xsara!) doesn't show the outside air temperature until one of the buttons is pressed. The type B has three lines of information and shows the outside air temperature all the time.

I had forgotten about the button on the end of the wiper stalk. Does yours have one? If not it's a complete change of the COM2000 unit, which is the complete wiper/indicator unit. Probably best to think of a S/H unit if that's the case - you might even get one with the cruise control on.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

All i can say regarding performance is i find they all differ. Ive had two 2.0HDi 110 C5 hatchbacks and we used to have an estate as a family hack, with a 110 HDi too. The estate was by far the slowest, you really had to work it hard and use the gears to get it moving. My previous hatchback was much livlier and better on fuel too. However now i have my latest 110 VTR my previous one seems very slow.

My VTR performs very well, sometimes i wonder if its been remapped, but i very much doubt it going by its previous owners. It takes much less pressing of the pedal to make it move, requires less gearchanges and is better on fuel than the SX hatch.

Nw, im wondering if the SX is getting slower, as im sure it wasnt like this a year ago. Or maybe its just because im used to my VTR which is certainly a different car to drive. Though id not like to drive a 90 version of a c5, that must be hard work.

To try and make the estate quicker we replaced the MAF sensor, with a genuine citroen one (you might as well not bother if replacing it with a cheapy motorfactors edition). This improved economy and performance slightly. I also gave it a good dose of Forte air intake cleaner through the intake system, this saw lots of black smoke pour from the exhaust - it was obviously choked up, after doing that a few times and giving the car a good blast things improved again. Finally i took the vacume pipe off the EGR valve, this had been done on my hatch before, and this made the car pull much better from low down in the rev range.

So some things you might want to try. I had a 2.0HDi 90 Peugeot 206 which was very lively, but when working the C5 hard there isnt much difference in performance, so i think you should be noticing a difference going from a 90 406 to a 110 c5 estate, it shouldnt be any slower anyway, the 406s book figures are quite slow, the C5s arnt as bad. Book figures for the C5 2.0HDi 110 is around 11.5 seconds to 60, which isnt too bad, but i think the 90 406 is around 14 seconds. So yes, some seem livlier than others.

You could also get it remapped, in my mind its a much better idea to a tuning box, usually gives you better mpg when not using the extra power and makes the car more drivable. I plan on getting mine done, though mine seems livelier than my other one anyway. So they do vary.

Cruise can be added easily, Citroen dealers used to do this for around £120 fitted, but no doubt the cost has increased now.

Im sure its possible to upgrade the trip computer to display MPG etc, though you will need the new display and a new comms2000 unit, at least.

Im not sure how easy climate would be to fit, as this requires sensors too. Its more simple to have a manual set up, the climate can go wrong. You need motors which power the flaps, these are not unknown to fail on the C5 causing one side of the cabin to be hotter or solder than desired.

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Thanks for the info citroenmad.

Are there any aftermarket stereo's that can use the steering wheel controls and multifunction display as i like these?

I have a two line display at the moment and i do have a press button on the right hand stalk which changes to temperature/time. How hard are these to swap over i.e whats involved?

The main reason i wanted the digital temperature controls was because i liked the look of it lol no real functional reason. I do want to do the cruise though definitely. I do 250 miles a day at the moment in unsociable hours so the M25/A3 is empty.

Has anyone on here near Fareham got a lexia and want to earn a few quid to "switch cruise on" for me? Rather pay someone on here than a main stealer...

It seems to be in 4th and fifth it really struggles once it hits 70 its hard to push for more in fifth for overtaking and such like of course :lol:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There are aftermarket stereos which can use the steering wheel controls, so i believe. However you will need to research into this as im not sure. I think some stereos will say in their description if they are designed to work with the standard car controls. However often you need another lead which connects them up.

I looked into doing this with my C5, as i wanted to play my ipod in the car. However i realised that with a aftermarket stereo fitted the buttons either side of the radio (door locking and alarm/black panel buttons) dont fit back in, as they fix to the side of the radio.

Also most aftermarket stereos have their own display, so will not show on the cars own display.

So instead of replacing my C5s radio, which is actually not bad at all in my opinion, i fitted a connects2 lead so i can now play my ipod in the car. It works very well, just like listening to a CD, but the volume is slightly quieter.

Im not sure how much effort would be involved in fitting the larger multifunction dash display, they are easy to remove but that may not be the end, there might be other things you might need to add to get it working. Im not too sure. Could be worth a try if you can pick one up from a scrappy cheaply to have a trial fit.

I think fitting the climate owuld be difficult, and certainly a dash out job. As its dual zone it will require different motors and sensors fitting for each side. This is probably linked to the ECU etc.

I want cruise fitting to mine too, 2 of our C5s have it, one doesnt. Its an easy fit and i dont think ou even need to remove the steering wheel to fit it in. Ill price a cruise stalk sometime and go from there. Though id need to get it programmed so might end up getting citroen to do it, no idea how much they will charge now though. Thats a hefty commute you have there!

I dont have any problems with my VTR for overtaking, and it pulls well right past overtaking speed, never need to change down from 5th. Though in the SX it sometimes requires a good press of the pedal or a gearchange to increase speed at motorway speed. Im sure it wasnt always like that mind. Ill have to look into it, might be the MAF failing.

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Have you still got your 406 ?, i've fixed plenty of fuel pressure regulator faults simply by taking the regulator out and cleaning it with a steel wire brush on the mesh tip only, then spraying it very thoroughly with carb cleaner to flush it, then spraying it with wd40 to lube it, just put it back in afterwards and it should spring back into life !

I've done 4 different cars now and never had to replace a stuck regulator yet, 1 of them actually kept the engine running as it couldnt reduce the fuel rail pressure to a level where the engine would stop
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I changed the display on my Xsara LX and it was an absolute doddle. You simply take one out and replace it with the other!

On the C5 it should be the similar, you need a broad screwdriver or, preferably, spatula to persuade the complete oval collection out. Start at the bottom and you'll see the catches which hold it in place. I've only ever changed bulbs at this point but it should be obvious what to undo next. I wouldn't imagine that you'll get the full panoply of message options without a Lexia but you never know...

The cruise control is a plug-in addition to the COM2000 unit. There's a blanking piece in place when it's not fitted and this is easy to take out. You obviously have to remove all the column cowl stuff to get to this point but, although a bit fiddly, it's not difficult. You definitely need to set the option with a Lexia to get it recognised though.

centurus2400

Post by centurus2400 »

The cruise control is a simple retrofit, as others have said, but it won't do anything until Mr Lexia has spoken to the ECU :D

As for the performance, I had my estate remapped by Superchips years ago. Definitely no shortage of get up and go since then, and still running like a watch at 130K miles.
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Citroenmad - You dont believe in short and sweet forum posts do you lol. The information is very much appreciated, I think i will have to have a poke around when i get some time to myself see if anything is coked up or anything. I plan on doing a full service in a couple of weeks, oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter and injector cleaner.

Yeah my commute is a bit of a beast but has surprised me the last few days it has only cost £25 in fuel a day i thought it was going to drink more.

Paul R- I will have to try replacing the display. Is there a central place for searching for citroen parts? kind of like servicebox for peuegeot or a dedicated website?

Topdonkey - Yes its still on my drive at the moment, was thinking of scrapping it, i wouldnt't imagine many people would want to take a gamble on a car with that mileage, although apart from the pressure reg the engine runs perfectly and still pulls like a train. Its only because in my job i rely on my reliability and timeliness i had to be there at 4pm and i wanted an estate anyway so bit the bullet.

I have to say this forum is extremely welcoming and i am looking forward to becoming an integral part of it... Not with too many problems i hope...

Rhys