CV Boot Clip, How to Fit?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

CV Boot Clip, How to Fit?

Post by evilally »

Ok, I'm refitting a CV joint, which I've never done before. I have a new boot kit, which comes with new clips. Probably a stupid questions, but how on earth do you fit these things:

I assumed it would pull on with pliers, but it's way too tight. I have concluded there must be some sort of tool for them?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There is a tool but you can get away with a pair of carpenters nail-pulling thingys. You can tell I know nothing about woodwork here but it's the tool they use for pulling nails out of things and look like a giant pair of wire cutters on end.

Anyway, pull the clip as tight as you can until one of the "pimples" engage with one of the holes on the tail beyond the raised bit and holds the clip firm. You should be able to do this using finger/thumb pressure of a big pair of water-pump pliers.

Then, using the carpenters thingys, pinch to sides of the raised bit to squash them close together. This will tighten the clip against the boot and hold it all tight. You will find the "pimples" are little hooks and the tighter the clip is pulled by the pinching action on the raised bit, the harder the hooks hold.

Hope that helps and the description makes some sense :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks Jim,

The clip has two little hooks, I will only be able to engage one. Will this be sufficient?

I suspect this is what I need:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIDENT-TOOLS-CV- ... 3ca9bb409a

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's the kind of tool you need :D

Better if you can engage both hooks and if the clip is initially pulled tight enough you should be able to...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Been out and had another look. There's just no way the clip supplied is going to fit. Is there anything wrong with using a big jubilee clip?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

evilally wrote:Been out and had another look. There's just no way the clip supplied is going to fit. Is there anything wrong with using a big jubilee clip?
Not a Jubilee Clip Ally :twisted: Firstly, the head of it is too big to clear the gap 'twixt CV joint and hub and then there's the problem of balance because of the weight of the head-part.

Better to use a stout cable-tie (Ty-rap) pulled up tightly. I've used them in the past with perfect results and the MOT man seems happy with them. They need to be good broad ones with double-acting ratchets as typical of the ones made by Legrand-Colson. There is also a pukka tool to pull these type tight.

Your local electrical factors will stock them if your automotive one doesn't. The cheapo ties sold by the likes of Halfrauds are NOT up to the job. Test one and see how rapidly it lets go as you pull it really tightly...
Jim

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Bugger, I was passing B&Q and picked some up :( Nevermind, I can take them back.

I don't have any decent cable ties either, so I've ordered a pack of universal upto 125mm CV boot clips and the proper crimp tool. The crimp tool was only a tenner from justoffbase, and I'll be doing the other side at some point.

Just means the old beast will be propped up in the drive until the bits arrive :(

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ally, you can always use a good'ish cable tie as a temporary measure until the pukka ones arrive. If they're not that wide, use two side-by-side...
Jim

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: CV Boot Clip, How to Fit?

Post by Homer »

evilally wrote:Ok, I'm refitting a CV joint, which I've never done before. I have a new boot kit, which comes with new clips. Probably a stupid questions, but how on earth do you fit these things:
You throw them away and fit cable ties. :D

I have fitted them with lots of swearing, some wire, a wide slot screwdriver and grazed knuckles.

I'm sure the last few I bought came with cable ties anyway, probably weren't official Citroen ones though.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I use a pair of electric crimp pliers like these to crimp those clips, works a treat :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always chuck that type away and use LIGAREX which used to be what citroen used,

i never use cable tie's as 9 times out of 10 the run of the mill type dont/cant hold the gaitor tight enough to stop the grease leaking out, then that can be a fail on the MOT,

regards malcolm
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Hi guys,

Got the crimp tool in along with a pack of boot clips today, went on very easily. Got that side put back together, along with a CV boot, new drop link, balljoint, top strut bracket and strut buffer (not to mention it's just had wishbone and ARB bushes). Gave the other strut brackets a good coat of hamerite whilst in there, and oiled the bearing. Now I've just got the other side to do, along with the split stearing rack gaiter I noticed :(

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

For the benefit of anyone else reading this post for help....

I too used to find the circlips supplied were sods to get clipped up properly (even when the right size) until I was shown a neat trick a few years ago:

- put the steel circlips in place (they'll hang there with clip down-most)

- put a cheapo cable-tie (Tywrap) over the top of the steel circlip

- tighten-up the cable-tie until both hooks of circlip engage. The cable-tie squeezes the circlips much more evenly than you can by hand and of course it holds it in place when you need both hands to make sure clip/boot/shaft are all lined up properly.

- cut off cable-tie

- tighten circlip by squeezing the 'kinky-bit' gently with a pair of carpenter's PINCERS (that's the name you were searching for Jim!).

BTW pincers are supposed to be blunt! They're for gripping not cutting.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote:a pair of carpenter's PINCERS (that's the name you were searching for Jim!)
Thanks Guy, that's it!! :D

Woodwork is not my strong subject :roll:
Jim

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Me again :oops:

I'm doing the other side. Is there any way to get the CV joint off without removing the whole shaft and putting it in a vice? I don't particuarly want to drain the gearbox oil. The first side came off easy as the circlip was knackered.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.