Citroen AX 1.5D - air in fuel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Violet_M_AX
My Cars:

Citroen AX 1.5D - air in fuel

Post by Violet_M_AX »

My AX diesel stopped a few weeks ago (luckily on the drive) due to lots of air getting into the pump. I've got a Lucas CAV system. At the back of the fuel filter head there's a blue plastic plug which was loose and leaking fuel. I removed this to find that the only thing holding it in place was some glue. So I've tried to stick it back in with araldite with limited success. After bleeding the system it started but is rough when cold and is still pulling air in (It has a clear pipe between the filter and the pump). I'm fairly sure the loose plastic plug is the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem and a suggestion for a fix? I'm trying to find a similar sized plug to stick in the hole!

Cheers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I can only suggest trying to find a rubber bung that will fit it, or blocking the hole with filler of some sort. Have you changed the filter recently, if its obsructed that could be making it worse
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think that originally a air bleed screw was fitted to where you found that plastic plug (similar to a brake bleed nipple)

I've never undid these when changing the filter on a TUD was easy enough to prime it anyway, no need really.

Back on topic, I'd go along with Peter's suggestion too, although examine the hole to see if it is threaded and if so a small length bolt with a copper washer will fix.

I'll check the diagram later today, although I only have Peugeot ones, they should be similar enough. I'd guess as you said AX its a 1.4 ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider

Post by spider »

Diagram for TUD3 (106 1.4D) , its not as helpful as I thought it would be though...

Andy.

Violet_M_AX
My Cars:

Post by Violet_M_AX »

Andy and Peter, thanks for replies. I'll try to block the hole and stem the leak. I don't think that it's threaded but will have a closer look in daylight. There's also a something in the middle of the hole which I can't see properly but may be the remains of a bleed valve.
The schematic of the fuel system is interesting. Do you know if the AX has a filter in the tank? I've seen this mentioned in other posts where air in fuel is a problem.
Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It probably has a gauze filter on the pick up pipe.
Violet_M_AX
My Cars:

update

Post by Violet_M_AX »

I removed the plug again and this time I put some gasket seal around it first and left that to set before I put a load of araldite around it. I also left it for a day to set before starting the engine. Started ok and it doesn't seem to be pulling any air in. This may be a temporary fix but at least I think I've found where the problem is. The plug is fitted at the back of the filter housing (roughly the position marked 70 in the above diagram).
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks for the update :)

Was there no sign of a thread in it then ?

To be honest it was rare I saw a 1.4 as they did not seem to be very common, most units I saw were 1.5's.

I will make a mental note next time I'm at the scrapyard (probably a week or so) to go and have a look if there is a TUD3 (1.4) around to see this "plug", does seem strange having something like that.
Andy.

Violet_M_AX
My Cars:

No thread

Post by Violet_M_AX »

Hi Andy, there was no thread in the hole. I took a couple of photos but couldn't post them here. It's a 1.5 engine with a Lucas CAV system. I don't know if the plug is original or if someone has stuck it there. It doesn't look like an original part or I would have expected it to be fitted a bit better. The engine started today and is running better cold than it has for a while. Fingers crossed it keeps going.
spider

Post by spider »

Ah OK. :)

The picture I have of the TUD5 is almost identical to the one I posted above, mainly the numbers identifying each item have changed, rather than much else.

Shame we cannot see pictures, for this forum: I normally just upload to photobucket and then link them on here.

Does sound strange though, but as long as you have it sorted that's the important thing :)
Andy.

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I wonder if it has an inline fuel heater attached to the back of the engine like the old BX's used to have the connections used to corrode on those and bypassing it eliminated any air in the fuel line.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
spider

Post by spider »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I wonder if it has an inline fuel heater attached to the back of the engine like the old BX's used to have the connections used to corrode on those and bypassing it eliminated any air in the fuel line.
No. ;) , TUD's have the fuel heating as part of the filter head as its fixed to the cylinder head.

I know all about the "back of block" heaters :( , they are sometimes more interested in taking air in unfortunately. Bypassed mine and made something to fit in the coolant line. :)
Andy.