low profile tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I've just bought a set of goodyear eagle f1 gsd2 runflats, 205/55/15 Z rated (so rated to a million MPH presumably? ;) )

The speedo will be a bit out but I'll adjust to that once I've found out how out it is with the GPS.

It'll either totally ruin the feel of the car, or be really good thanks to having the stiffest sidewalls known to man and the car being an Activa.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Dommo, have you fitted these 55 profile tyres to your Activa? If yes, you've complety ruined the handling and ride comfort.

One of my Activas came with a set of 55 profile tyres and I always wondered why it felt so rough in comparison to my others, as we had five Activas in the family at the time and this was by far the most uncomfortable and unstable to drive, even though the tyres were newish and a premium make.

It was not until I checked the tyres and replaced them with a set of Pirellis, with the correct load rating, that the handling and comfort was transformed back to what I had expected.

Try and drive a car with the correct tyres, in size and load rating, to see the difference it makes.

Handyman
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

handyman wrote:Dommo, have you fitted these 55 profile tyres to your Activa? If yes, you've complety ruined the handling and ride comfort.

One of my Activas came with a set of 55 profile tyres and I always wondered why it felt so rough in comparison to my others, as we had five Activas in the family at the time and this was by far the most uncomfortable and unstable to drive, even though the tyres were newish and a premium make.

It was not until I checked the tyres and replaced them with a set of Pirellis, with the correct load rating, that the handling and comfort was transformed back to what I had expected.

Try and drive a car with the correct tyres, in size and load rating, to see the difference it makes.

Handyman
I havn't yet no. I just bought them to keep in stock as they were pretty cheap. I can't imagine the profile making much difference to the ride quality, the fact they're runflat however will probably make it bumpy as hell. Decent spheres should surely counteract this though?

To be honest I just watned to try them.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Interesting thread this one, just had a read through it.

Im not sure what runflat 55s would be like on a Activa. You can go too far with stiff sidewalls and it will be horrible. Stiff sidewalls dont usually equate to the best grip. For a tyre to grip well it needs to be able to flex. Yes sloppy tyres are rubbish as you end up on the widewalls at good cornering speeds, however if its too stiff it will be hard for the tyre to flex enough to grip the road.

Did activas not use a model of Michelins which had very stiff square looking sidewalls from new?

BWMs use these, however they set their cars up from standard to run on runflat tyres. So the suspension and steering geometry is tuned for runflats. They are still reported to be very harsh though.

Worth a try, will be interesting to see what you think of them. Usually Goodyear F1s are pretty fantastic tyres, ive never read a bad review yet. Goodyears tend to be extellent in my opinion, im starting to buy goodyears more now. Going to try the new Optigrip next.

They might look a little lost in the arches though, being only 55s.

By the way, a Z rated tyre is good for 150+! It doesnt say top speed ...
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10