low profile tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

Deanxm wrote: As far a resonance is concerned i found drilling the centre hole in the strut sphere damper to 1mm counteracted that quite well, although when i do the engine swap i will go back to standard strut spheres to preserve sports mode and drill out the hydractive Dampers instead.
D
If you don't mind me asking how you came to 1mm, convienience, trial or some other reason? I'm thinking I'll try a step between 1mm and standard and keep the HA working
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

lexi wrote:It`s low profiles on 4X4s that make me laugh :roll:
Dad's Range Rover has low profile tyres and 20 inch alloys on it.

It's the only car that I would say on comfort wise is on par with the XM because of the air sprung suspension.

It really is gloriously soft over the bumps.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

citrov6 wrote:
Deanxm wrote: As far a resonance is concerned i found drilling the centre hole in the strut sphere damper to 1mm counteracted that quite well, although when i do the engine swap i will go back to standard strut spheres to preserve sports mode and drill out the hydractive Dampers instead.
D
If you don't mind me asking how you came to 1mm, convienience, trial or some other reason? I'm thinking I'll try a step between 1mm and standard and keep the HA working
I had a chat on the phone to Martin From Plaedes, sorry dont know how to spell that, very nice helpfull guy he was and he told me about it and that he does it to standard Amtex sphere's to make them i bit softer, he also said to me not to drill any bigger than 1mm so i thought i would give it the full 1mm as suggested and if it was too soft i would adjust the centre hole to say .9mm when i replaced them.
I then got to thinking that although this mod makes soft mode softer it also makes sports mode softer as the dampers are always in circuit and thats not what i want, what you really want is boat like useless wallow in soft the very firm sports mode so when i changed my strut sphere's i didnt drill them out and when i doi the engine conversion which looks like it may have to wait till next year i will pull out the hydractive block and drill the damper units that are in there instead and see how that works out.

Stempy, what you want is hydractive 1, something you xantia boys never saw, manualy putting the switch to sport mode locks it in sport all the time, none of this what is effectivly 2 auto modes with H1 8-)

David, my dad had a p38 with 20" rims and i would agree with you there, still strutted its stuff off road well too, i think the fact it weighs over 2 tonnes helps the ride more then the lorry suspension though, heavy things always seem to ride better.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Deanxm wrote:
citrov6 wrote:
Deanxm wrote:

Stempy, what you want is hydractive 1, something you xantia boys never saw, manualy putting the switch to sport mode locks it in sport all the time, none of this what is effectivly 2 auto modes with H1 8-)
D
You can achieve the same effect with the hydractive 2 by putting a switch in one of the power supplies to the ECU.

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Hmm, replace the hydractive fuese with a fused relay.
Wire the relay up to a switch on the dash.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

interesting Peter, does this give a fault code though? thats the thing i was thinking of with stempy's idea of unplugging the ecu?
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Dean

I wouldn't know about that because I have never tried reading them, but I know it works because the last time I had ECU failure and permanently hard suspension was because the white plug beneath the steering wheel had become unplugged. Its the two thick yellow wires both connected in parallel, I think its the main 12 v feed.

Peter
Last edited by Peter.N. on 12 Feb 2010, 18:53, edited 2 times in total.
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

Interesting Deanxm, I think my poor front spheres could be low on pressure now which is making this effect worse so I've ordered 2 XM ones, should be similar to whats on there just a little less harsh.

What do Pleides (sp?) think about modifying the rigidity sphere, that would retain the hard mode and only affect soft mode I would of thought, though ofcourse it still all has to go through the strut spheres, I think
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Well the rigidity or hydractive sphere does not have a damper built in, it just has the 6mm? open end like an accumulator ( actually i use a front hydractive sphere as an accumulator) its Damper units are in the hydractive block it screws into, not sure what Anyone thinks of the idea and i didnt ask Martin at the time, i think he posts here though so may chip in if he's about????????
Personaly i think with a few extra bar in the hydractive sphere too it may well work rather well but oviously cant say for sure as ive not done it yet.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I didn't realise there was any restriction in the centre sphere, if there is that could be the answer to everything :D :D :D

Peter
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

Interesting, I vaguely remember reading in a thread it doesn't have a damper so that makes sense.

So what your saying is you have are using the front hydractive sphere without its damper in place of the accumulator? looking at the list http://www.lozian.co.uk/sphere_table.pdf it says accumulator has a pressure of 62, and a hydractive sphere 50, non-hydractive 70. Sounds like it would give better back up performance and braking to the car with more pressure, also sounds like you have noticed the reduced pressure using this in your set up.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Dad's Range Rover has low profile tyres and 20 inch alloys on it

I know how capable they are but hardly a 4x4 . Especially when voted ..... Car of the Decade..............and having a dedicated "Sport" model . I had more in mind Mitsu Animals with tyres so thin they will not mount a well worn kerb for fear of damage.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

lexi wrote:
Dad's Range Rover has low profile tyres and 20 inch alloys on it

I know how capable they are but hardly a 4x4 . Especially when voted ..... Car of the Decade..............and having a dedicated "Sport" model . I had more in mind Mitsu Animals with tyres so thin they will not mount a well worn kerb for fear of damage.
I saw a Discovery with the lowest profile tyres and biggest chromed wheels I'd ever seen on a car, complete with a snorkel for fording. I could see that car getting very stuck if it tried fording with those wheels and tyres!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The snorkel's necessary. Have you ever seen what Columbian marching powder does to an air filter element? :shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Have you ever seen what Columbian marching powder
You've lost me there Adam :roll: What is this "Columbian marching powder" of which you speak?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...