Saxo 1.0 or 1.1 - which is best?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

...well at least not if you intend crashing it :D
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

My 2p:

I've done lots of (painful-I'm 6' 6") miles in AXs, and have to report the diesels are fabulously economical (my mother used to get mid 70s mpg out of her 14D and high 60s out of her 15D.

Although the TUD5 is a far more reliable engine, it doesn't work that well in the AX; it spoils the handling, is noisy, and has a lower geared steering rack that is misery.

The 14D I experienced was a peach (after I rebuilt the engine) smooth, quiet, and was very good to drive (and remarkably faster than the 15D as well as more economical.) I wouldn't want to have a crash in one though...

The (late) 106 and Saxo feel more substantial, but I still wouldn't want to crash either of them. IMHO the Peugeot 205D was a far superior car, better size, more pleasant to drive, and if Swedish statistics are to be believed, better in a crash. If you like your TU engines you could get a 1.1 petrol, but for me XUD is the engine to have. Yes, economy is not so impressive, but I know what I'd prefer to be driving, particularly when trading down from a (wonderfully competent) ZX TD.
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The Saxo is not the saftest car in the world, however, if you take a trip to the euro ncap website, you will see the Saxos gets a 2 star rating, the Xantia gets 1 star. Mind the pictures of both are a bit shocking.

Yes a Xantia has more metal and it would probably fair better in a side and rear impact than a Saxo, however it shows the Saxo is no worse than a Xantia in a front crash, its better.

This is always something i look into when buying a car now, and is one reason id not have another AX. Good cars in their day but now they are out of their depth really.

You dont buy a car to have a crash in i know, but its nice to know it will protect you if the worst should happen. Especially if its a car which is to be used daily and for a fair few miles - more likely to be involved in an incedent.

Have you looked at Xsaras? I think Xsaras seem very good value. Similar in MPG to Saxos and same money too, its crash pictures and much nicer too!
Last edited by Citroenmad on 10 Feb 2010, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Just did a quick autotrader search and found some tidy Xsaras, well within your price range:

1.4 petrol, 40MPG, cant get a cheaper Xsara than this, surely:

1.4 Forte - i doubt its a forte as it doesnt look like one, looks like an Exclusive with those wheels and fogs:

Facelifted version, 1.6 SX - excellent spec, but up on the mileage but should give the same fuel returns as a 1.4:

Very cheap 1.4 Facelift - decent mileage, 42MPg and very tidy. Y reg for just £850:

Or diesels?

1.9D, with air con

HDis? Much better on fuel than the 1.9Ds:

2.0HDi, slight scrape on the wing but not something which couldnt be repaired at a later dat eby a bodyshop. Its cheap, very reasonable mileage for a HDi and its taxed and tested for 6 months, all for 795 and 54MPG. Its also got air con:

Slightly higher miealge, but i find the 2.0HDis very good. One of ours has 120K and drives like new. This 'X' doesnt have AC. £695

2.0HDi SX Estate:

I think a Xsara would be a good choice and would probably be my choice. More room than the Saxo (especially in the footwell), possibly better value for money as these are very cheap, similar MPG - better from the diesels - and they are safer - 3 star on the xsara euro ncap. Plus there is lots of choice too, the blue HDi with the scrape looks the best there. HDis in particular are very economical, just take a look at the tech specs on one of those ads. You should get near 50MPG on average and closer to 60 on a nice gentile long drive. Cracking!

I do like Xsaras, they dont seem very popular on here, but they are great cars. And bigger cars are always nicer to be in for longer journeys too.

Chris.

None of the links work Chris - there is a bit of a knack to linking to Autotrader adverts :(.
I have removed the long urls as they were busting the page frame.
Steve
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
tonedepear
My Cars:

Post by tonedepear »

I did think about the xsara. Petrols are out, as I'd like something more economical than the ZX it's replacing. Same goes for the non HDis. The HDi's I'm moderately scared of, cos I had a low mileage c5 HDi self destruct on the M1 a couple of years back, and I'd be forever worried it'll break. I know that's not rational!

Would have to be a pre-facelift one as well, as I can't abide the multiplex (?) wiring (I like my stereo, I've had it in the last 6 cars I've owned - but it wouldn't work in the c5. Grumble.).

I have to say, I'm a tiny bit overwhelmed, never known a forum so friendly since my UKSaabs days. Thanks very much. :D

My C5 in happier times:
1997 ZX XUDT Elation

Previously:
2002 C5 HDi
1995 Xantia XUD LX
1996 ZX 1.4 Elation
1997 ZX 1.4 Elation2
1998 Saxo 1.1SX
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Was your C5 a 2.0HDI or 2.2HDI?

Ive never had a problem with the 2.0HDi 8vs, we have had 4 now, three 110 C5s and one 90 206. The engines have never been a problem, two of those were over 100K miles. The 2.2s are more problematic, i wouldnt buy an earlier 2.2.

The problems ive had with C5s have not been engine related, i had to replace the comms 2000 on my VTR, ive had a few suspension leaks, rear radious arm bearing are very prone, drop links, and a few electrical problems, but not HDi related.

HDis are good units, generally, they are much more economical than the older XUD engines, though more complicated. There are so many HDis around (206s, 307s, 406s, 407s, 807, C5s, Xsaras, Picassos, C8s, etc etc) which all use the 2.0 8v HDi. They cant all go wrong. One reason i bought another C5 was because i was put off by the reliability of other diesel engines, the HDis seem one of the better more modern diesels. Ford 2.0 TDCis and Renaults DCis are really to be avoided in my opinion.

HDIs can suffer injector problems, however, this is often linked to using poor quality fuel. Tesco, Asda etc, instead of Shell or BP. I know this often provokes a lot of comments 'fuels are all the same', 'fuel is fuel' etc. Its not, some lack lubrication factors which the HDis need, so using cheaper fuels can fuin the injectors.

Our 52reg has done just over 120K miles and its never been any bother from new. Its engine is excellent, we will be keeping this for a good few years yet and its doing a fair few miles each week, ive not got any worries about it. As are the others and its why we have had and have so many of them.

Our facelifted C5 with the newer 2.0HDi 16v 138 engine worries me more, it has the FAP filter, time will tell how reliabile this will be, but ours has been great so far.

So i wouldnt be put off by a HDi, providing its got good history, they seem pretty hardy. I got talking to a taxi driver who runs a fleet of C5 HDis, he had 7 at the time. He commented that they are rarely any problem, and never gave any engine issues. He had just put one off the road at 350K miles as it was getting tatty, but still going well!

Time moves on, and a XUD isnt the most advanced engine anymore, for economy the modern engines take some beating. Unless you want to run a XUD on vegi oil?

Though id hate to say that and you get a duff one! Though HDis are worth condsidering in my opinion. As long as you give it a good test drive, make sure there is no hesitation and its smooth on tickover. Use good quality fuel on a HDi and service it as you would normally, it shoudl give you good service.

Yes the multiplex seems pointless really, and gives needless problems. However your right to want an earlier version, as these do without, the earlier Xsaras also look better too.

I used to get 50MPG on average with my Peugeot 206 2.0HDi 90, which i used to drive hard. On a good run it would go to 60MPG and once or twice i had around 62MPG from it. Few things are as cheap to buy and as economical as a smaller HDi car.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
tonedepear
My Cars:

Post by tonedepear »

My C5 was was a 110 estate. The aircon comp sheared off it's mount and the aux belt went on a wander. IIRC it managed to dmage the block. Like I said, it's an irrational fear, but I felt so disconnected from the car with all the fly-by-wire trickery It scared me a lot more than losing power steering/battery charging would have done on an older car. It got me home, in fairness, although it wasn't much fun to manouvre!

Edit: off to see this in the morning

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0304230403
1997 ZX XUDT Elation

Previously:
2002 C5 HDi
1995 Xantia XUD LX
1996 ZX 1.4 Elation
1997 ZX 1.4 Elation2
1998 Saxo 1.1SX
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

How did you get on with your Saxo search?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well after spending the day driving and slightly repairing a Saxo Desire, i forgot how good those litte cars really are.

One owner from new this one and 95K on a Y plate and its immaculate, unfortunately its owner thought she would trade it in for scrap but luckily its not old enough. So i put on some new mirrors (smashed of by vandals) and it sailed through its MOT. So she is going to keep it a bit longer now, i need to service it in a few weeks too.

The 1.1 MPI is a very good little unit, very nippy, goes more like a 1.4 and its a very refined car with a good ride too. Handles very nicely, not like many modern superminis which are wollowly and detatched from the driving experience.

A family friend said the other day that she wished they still made the saxo, as she would have another. Her 02 plate has done 130K miles now, another 1.1 desire with faultless mileage.

Id forgotten how good they were, definitely recommend one. Though this thread is old and vacant now .... what happened to tonedepear?!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10