Preheat relay timer not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

DHallworth wrote:I am having this problem with a Xantia HDi.

The glow plug light comes on for literally a second and goes off very quickly.
Hi David,

I thought that was normal behaviour for an HDI? They don't really need glow plug assistance in warm weather due to the much higher injection pressures.

I think you'd want to look elsewhere for the smokey startup problem?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

That sounds to me like the correct operation on an HDi, It wont come on any longer unless it's really cold outside.
The DW8 engine being discussed in this post is indirect injection & needs glowplugs unless its fairly warm.
Doug Cunningham 2CVs
New User
My Cars: Berlingo 98
2cv lhd 90
H camper 73

Re: Preheat relay timer not working

Post by Doug Cunningham 2CVs »

paul in normandy wrote:Strange problem with a 99 Berlingo 1.9 D preheat relay. The relay clicks in and back out again within seconds - the two clicks follow immediately after one another. Have got another unit from the local breakers - its a Nagares PPC/7-12 other numbers on it are 96 165 823 80 and this one does exactly the same. Are they prone to failing in this way or should I be looking somewhere else? The dash light is coming on and off again immediately in time with the relay.
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Good evening, believe it or not I had the same problem only this morning ( plus about 7or8 years ago) and solved fairly quickly IF It IS THE SAME! Mine is 1.9D. 98 reg. On inner wing the loom is fitted on a plastic bracket, a bit of the loom goes to the heater plug relay. On the underside (can be easier laying on the ground and put your arm up) unscrew a ring nut, pull apart and clean with elec cleaner, 2x terminals will probably be a bit burnt just give them a scrape to clean, smother them in Vaseline and replace. Hope it sorts it, it did for me (twice) good luck. Doug.
Bick

Re:

Post by Bick »

I've replaced all 4 glow plugs, this made no difference and the car was still a bit smokey on start up.

I then replaced the glow plug control box with a genuine Citroen item, tried it again and it is still doing the same thing.

I tested all 4 glow plugs that I removed and they all tested ok.

I'll follow this with interest!

David.

Hi David i think as others have said this is normal for the 2.0hdi engine. My Relay van has the same engine and my glow plugs do exactly the same thing yours do. It has never caused me any trouble starting so ive ignored it to be honest.

If its a bit smokey try some Millers fuel treatment it works wonders.