citroen xantia immobiliser problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bosie

citroen xantia immobiliser problem

Post by bosie »

Hi i have a citroen xantia 1.8 1996. I put my key in the ignition today and put my code in the immobilser it flashed green and bleeped 3 times but now the car turns over but doesnt start also the head lights have started flashing when there not even on. Ive tryed it again and now the green light comes on the immobiliser when i turn the key and dont even put the code in. If anyone could help me on this it would be much appreciated thanks joe. Also the car is struggleing to turn over now thought it was the battery dying but its not as all the lights stereo etc are working fine.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Are the indicators flashing along with the headlights? On earlier xantia models, which didn't have the immobiliser keypad, this was part of the security system. Have you recently disconnected the battery for any reason, which would trigger the alarm system?

Edit: Welcome to the Forum - I'm sure someone will be able to help with this
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
bosie

Post by bosie »

Hi Xantidote its just the head lights that flash not the indicators. I havent disconnected the battery i have checked the battery for connection and it is fine.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Headlights Flashing means the ALARM is SUPPOSED to be sounding, but either A, the sounder is dead, or B the sounder it switched off under the bonnet-- the key switch is in the upperright hand side of the scuttle trim (passenger side, UK cars)

You'll need to reset your alarm, SIMPLE with a plip, but if that does not work, its still possible..

NO PLIP: Locate on the dash, behind the wiper stalk the button with a sounder and a CROSS through it... put your key in the ignition. Then open the bonnet and disconnet the EARTH terminal.. Wait a sec, then reconncect. Then firstly, go in the car then while HOLDING THE button with the X trough it, turn on the ignition - The indicators SHOULD then flash to tell you that the alarm is reset...

With a PLIP, every time you open the car with the PLIP it does this operation automatically for you.

Try that, then try your code again.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

EDIT... I see citroenxm posted the same time as me :D , although I'll leave my reply incase it provides any help, although his is more likely to work.

That's the alarm system typically.

Note: I'm only used to Peugeots, so most of this still applies but things may be in a different place.

The keyswitch under the bonnet disables the siren or perhaps that part is broken, no matter.

Lock car.

Unlock car, get in shut the door, turn on ignition (2nd position do NOT attempt to start) and press the alarm cancel button within a few seconds, You need to be quick to do this. That should stop the lights flashing and you should be able to start the engine now. You have to do all this within a few seconds.

The alarm button is likely to be on the column cowling or on the centre console. It looks a bit like two or three (( lines but upright. I do not seem to be able to find a picture of one.

:)
Last edited by spider on 04 Feb 2010, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

spider wrote: Unlock car, get in shut the door, turn on ignition (2nd position do NOT attempt to start) and press the alarm cancel button within a few seconds, You need to be quick to do this. That should stop the lights flashing and you should be able to start the engine now.

:)
Andy, Need to disconnect the battery first to make it effective.. :wink:

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the head lights flashing is what happens on disconecting the battery then reconectting,

in this case i have sorted it out by just turnning on the ignition then within a couple of seconds press and hold the button to the right of the steering wheel Paul mentioned,

you might find what caused this on your car is maybe the battery only just had enough curent to turn the starter

regards malcolm
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

citronut wrote:the head lights flashing is what happens on disconecting the battery then reconectting,
If you do not get to the ignition quick enough...... you get about 15 seconds after connection before it all breaks loose :wink: :lol:

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

citroenxm wrote: Andy, Need to disconnect the battery first to make it effective.. :wink:

Paul
:D I'll take your word for it. My "method" did bring many an errant 306 under control though. To be fair they were the very early ones, so I'd guess they revised the system slightly. :)

Good to learn and know anyway :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
bosie

Post by bosie »

thanks citroenxm did what you said mate and it worked like a treat many thanks for that and much appreciated. Keep up the good work :D