Flushing coolant, diesel additives C15 1.9

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

roughnready
My Cars:

Flushing coolant, diesel additives C15 1.9

Post by roughnready »

Hello
Whats the best way to go about flushing/changing the coolant on my C15 1.9 diesel. I want to avoid any airlocks forming.
Also when changing the diesel filter (its an upright filter in a black plastic housing to the right hand side of the head) A chap at my work said to fill the housing with a diesel fuel treatment then replace the filter as normal, has anyone heard of or used such a thing.
As you may have gathered I've not owned a diesel before so all this new to me.
I think my C15 is brilliant, surpisingly roomy and it sips diesel and spare parts cost peanuts.
Cheers
2003 Citroen C15
2007 Citroen C4 vtr+
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Let van cool down and open rad cap or expansion tank then drain rad from bottom tap. Find the engine block drain tap and drain the block. Give it a flush out with hose through rad. It`s best to make a funnel from a plastic bottle and put some tape around it to stick tightly in rad or tank. This will raise your reservoir and give you water gravity pressure (no airlocks) and you can fill it with 50% antifreeze mix. Keep topping up with a good level showing in your bottle.......you won`t be glugging air then. IIRC The header tank in 1.9 is low so this is reason for your fashioned bottle........it`s sound practice anyway :lol:

As you fill it look for any schrader type tyre valve caps that you can open on the hoses as you fill. If there is a lower one then wait till fluid comes out then close and continue filling. If there is a higher one at bulkhead do that next. I would run with cap off and give hoses a squeeze to expel air. Fans may not come on in cold weather so you can let it cool then top up and replace cap. Watch your hands or clothing in case fans do come on :shock:

The trick with injector cleaner in filter is one some people adhere to. It`s not a must do unless you have issues.

I would just open the drain in housing and give the bulb a squeeze as this should syphon the fuel into a jar when you stop pumping.

Alternatively loosen and remove the top of housing (four torx?) and then open the drain.....it will syphon now. With housing drained it will be less messy and you can change filter and o ring. Clean any sh**t in housing (who would have done such a thing?). Tighten drain plug, fit top back on and pump your bulb to fill housing........you`ll know when the bulb feels hard it`s full. Start her up and she should run ok. If any stalling then give the bulb a couple of sqeezes. Put the injector cleaner in your fuel tank.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
roughnready
My Cars:

Post by roughnready »

Hello
Many thanks for your advise the jobs are now done. Everything seems fine.
Thank you again
Cheers
2003 Citroen C15
2007 Citroen C4 vtr+