Missing pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pigdogboy

Missing pipe

Post by pigdogboy »

I have an R-reg Xantia 1.9TD. Recently had a hydraulic leak which we got sorted. When we took the bottom engine cover off there was a foot long piece of hose sitting there, both ends split. Found where the top goes, just have no clue where the bottom goes or what it does even!
There is a photo here, its under the large air hose coming off the air filter and the pipe that cannot find the end off has the red flash on it. Position is just to the right of center at the very back of the engine bay.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Matthew.

[Image
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

One goes to your fast idle/cold thingywotsit on the back of the fuel pump, the other goes down the back of the engine to the EGR, which basically is a system which has the engine farting up it's own nose.
Chances are someone's disconnected the EGR pipe to improve power, cleanliness inside the engine and all round better running.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
pigdogboy

Post by pigdogboy »

So it won't do no harm being off then? It definitely wasn't taken off on purpose, its just annoying that I can find where the other end goes!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If it's attached to something still then it'll be your EGR, you can either yank it off and plug it, or leave it be.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Xac wrote:If it's attached to something still then it'll be your EGR, you can either yank it off and plug it, or leave it be.
It really needs to be plugged if you disconnect it, otherwise you'll be venting vacuum and your idle speed will be wrong i.e. you'll get the cold idle speed even when the engine is warm.