front caliper pivot bolt cracked

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

candy
My Cars:

front caliper pivot bolt cracked

Post by candy »

decided to change my discs and pads today managed to do the rears no problem... got to the front removed pads, handbrake cable,
plenty of plusgas on the pivot bolt and caliper bracket bolts, went to undo them and noticed pivot bolt head are cracked both sides and caliper bolts have been chewed up i can get hold of the caliper bolts easy enough from the dealers a couple of quid each .... but there is no way im paying £50 for the pivot bolt kit a side, as they dont sell them on their own .. my boss had a look through all his stuff but hes got nothing that will fit.. does anyone know where i can get 2 from without paying extortionate prices... GSF dont stock them

please help a damsel who is stressing out
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r124 ... %20xantia/

Teresa
1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TDLX silver
2004 Honda cg125 red
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I dont seem to find the bolt in question ?
If you mean the lover pad slide pins, they come in a pad fitting kit which contains 2 pins and 2 small covers and few rubber bits.
95.667.820 PAD SPRING KIT
Which is the same for most Xantia series 1 & 2

The only other bolts in question are the 2 heavy caliper mounting bolts which now have been modified to be of the same type :
96.130.031 CALIPER SCREW 12X1,50-35
£1 exvat ea. over here my place :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can you post a picture to clarify the problem candy?
candy
My Cars:

Post by candy »

my calipers have 2 heavy duty mounting bolts and one that the caliper pivots on (or floats on) when you change just the pads its that that is cracked wish i had got a pic whilst on ramp but forgot

Teresa
2004 Honda cg125 red
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

They'd be a 12mm×1.5mm (pitch) bolt, about 1 3/8" long?

candy
My Cars:

Post by candy »

its the bolt for the part ive circled dont know how long it is all i know its a T50 or T55 torx bit that fits it

Teresa
2004 Honda cg125 red
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

candy wrote:Image

its the bolt for the part ive circled dont know how long it is all i know its a T50 or T55 torx bit that fits it
Thats exactly the bolt I mentionend and which Addo recognises too.
Why would that cost you £50 ?

As I mentioned, both bolts are now the same - at £1 ea ....
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I think Candy's referring to the top pivot bolt, which goes through what Haynes refers to as the "guide pin", and yes, IIRC, the bolt on my 1.9TD also has large Torx head.

Candy: if not available at dealers, then have to be trip to scrap yard.

As an aside, what's happened to cause the cracking. Also, exactly how are the 2 caliper mounting bolts "chewed", or is it that the heads have become corroded, or damaged during previous work?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Yes, a trip to the breakers is called for. A couple of years ago, I managed to shear one on my daughter's estate one Saturday morning, not only did the dealer quote an extortionate price, but the spares counter was closing before anyone could get there.

The replacement, from a s/h complete caliper assembly, had a hex socket head instead of a Torx.

Maybe the heads of the existing bolts have been chewed by someone hammering a hex bit into a Torx bolt?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
candy
My Cars:

Post by candy »

Xantidote wrote:I think Candy's referring to the top pivot bolt, which goes through what Haynes refers to as the "guide pin", and yes, IIRC, the bolt on my 1.9TD also has large Torx head.

Candy: if not available at dealers, then have to be trip to scrap yard.

As an aside, what's happened to cause the cracking. Also, exactly how are the 2 caliper mounting bolts "chewed", or is it that the heads have become corroded, or damaged during previous work?

yes thats it :lol:

i have no idea how they are chewed as only had the car a since december, so maybe by a previous garage or last person that did some work to it i will send b/f to scrap yard to see if he can find me some ive also got to do the clutch in the next week or 2 as the crankshaft seal is leaking badly and looks like its contaminated the clutch plate (noticed whilst under car yesterday) as its started slipping and juddering so will do the discs and brakes at same time.... oh boy joys of being aa apprentice mechanic

"Maybe the heads of the existing bolts have been chewed by someone hammering a hex bit into a Torx bolt?"

yes that what it looks like

"Thats exactly the bolt I mentionend and which Addo recognises too.
Why would that cost you £50 ?"

when my boss called the dealers (after i spoke to GSF) they told him the caliper braket bolts are £1 odd each but the pivot bolt they dont sell seperately so would have to buy it as a set which they do for £50 a side including vat boss didnt say what was included but he said it was extortionate for a few things

Teresa
2004 Honda cg125 red
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm still at a complete loss on this issue ...

Defo looks like we are barking up each ones own tree here :shock:

There is only that one bolt type T55 head 65mm long 12mm thread - 2 ea used on 1 caliper - each side of the car.
Thats the bolt mentioned above at £1 - each.

And then there is the single slide pin - not threaded.

This is the official information from Citroens online spareparts service, which - with all respect - is the most correct information you can get.
Haynes is only as accurate as can be, at the time of writing.
Many parts has changed or been superceeded since then ...

I know I'm an old fart, and readily admits that, but then again ... :lol:
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Anders,

"And then there is the single slide pin - not threaded". Yes, but in addition, there's also a bolt that goes through this hollow pin, which effectively holds the two parts of the caliper together (sliding part, and the fixed part; latter fixed by 2 bolts to the front hub carrier). Maybe Citroen doesn't list the pivot bolt in question separately if it's part of the caliper assembly?

Candy, IIRC, the guide bolt you're replacing has loctite type thread lock applied to threaded end. Haynes gives torque figures of 37 lbs ft for the pivot/guide bolt, and 77 lbs ft for the 2 caliper bracket bolts

Pity the clutch couldn't have waited for warmer weather :)
Martin

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Xantidote wrote:Anders,

"And then there is the single slide pin - not threaded". Yes, but in addition, there's also a bolt that goes through this hollow pin, which effectively holds the two parts of the caliper together (sliding part, and the fixed part; latter fixed by 2 bolts to the front hub carrier). Maybe Citroen doesn't list the pivot bolt in question separately if it's part of the caliper assembly?

Candy, IIRC, the guide bolt you're replacing has loctite type thread lock applied to threaded end. Haynes gives torque figures of 37 lbs ft for the pivot/guide bolt, and 77 lbs ft for the 2 caliper bracket bolts

Pity the clutch couldn't have waited for warmer weather :)
Thanx Martin -
You are right - I totally missed out this little long thingy.
From memory its the same as the one used on the rear calipers for the Xantia (and GS, BX, CX, XM, C5).
Its an ISO M5 threaded shoulder bolt.
If needs be a piece of M5 threaded bar and a couple nuts should do it.
Even your local tools shop should stock such a common pin bolt.

The rear caliper bolt genuine part # is 5.438.690 and sells at some £1.5
But I cant log in ATM to confirm its the right part that you really need Candy.
Anyone else could confirm or shoot down this part # for the Xantia front caliper ?
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Anders,

The guide/pivot bolt is, at a guess, approx 12mm dia, with Torx head - Candy's suggested Torx 50/55. From memory, very roughly maybe 2" long. I know the 5mm bolt you refer to on the rear caliper, which holds the two parts of the rear caliper together, as well as the pad shield/ cover. Not the same animal I'm afraid.
Martin

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Right, thanx shooting it down Martin.
Clearly I'm way off the road on this ... :roll:

I'll lurk back into my corner and do some shame on me thinking ... :oops: