Handbrake adjustment on ZX.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

madon37s

Handbrake adjustment on ZX.

Post by madon37s »

I have an 'n' reg ZX and need to adjust the handbrake as it it coming up 10 notches! Doing the adjustment doesn't look hard but I do have one query! does anyone know the type and size of the two small screws that hold the front of the handbrake console on. I just can't quite make out what they are.

Any help very gratefully received.

Kind regards

Paul
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

With not having a ZX this is just a basic "start" if you like:

It's normally torx fittings holding the cover on. The actual adjuster is inside the car (13mm from memory) but please read the rest of this first:

I'm assuming you have rear drum brakes, if not stop. :)

The handbrake will be poor probably due to the rear brakeshoe adjustment, if you wind the cables up you will not really achieve much in the long term apart from wearing your rear shoes out quicker.

Ideally you need the drums off, and the cable adjusted just so there is no slack at the operating arm inside the rear brakes. Adjust the shoes up (some you can do through a bolt hole to get them a little bit more if needed)

That's how I used to do all the 306's (which is the same car more or less)

Typically, a poor handbrake indicates with drum brakes at least, the rear shoes need a look at.

:)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Andy

but i have never tried adjusting the rear drums up with the drum in situe,

i dont see why its not possible though

what i find with these is quite offten the tinny pawl (stailess steel blade) which locks the adjuster ratchet is completly missing,,

the other fault they suffer with is the outer cable collapsing which will cause the inner cable to protrude further, and efectivly cause the hand brake lever to come up higher

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I think those screws are Torx head. They're set quite deep into the hole so you might find that a screwdriver with replaceable bits won't quite reach. I normally take the bit out of the screwdriver and turn it with a spanner or something.

I agree with spider that it is quite often the rear brakes that need attention when the cable appears to need adjustment. The handbrake levers inside the drums can seize. The brakes and self-adjusters do need a good clean every so often to keep everything moving freely.

The handbrake cables can also fail after a while. The outer sheath of the cable can split which affects the way the handbrake feels as the outer sheath is in two pieces instead of one piece.

The outer sheath of the handbrake cable can also collapse and the cable sheath looks like it's got areas where the cable outer is bulging. This can affect the adjustment.

I would inspect the handbrake cables along the entire length and look for bulging of the outer sheath etc.

Paul
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

To help you wonder: TORX T20 is the Head size!!

:wink:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
madon37s

Post by madon37s »

Thanks everyone for all your help, I shall have a look at the rear brake shoes and see what's occuring.

Kind regards

Paul