xantia hydraulic pipe fluid loss

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blackdog
My Cars:

xantia hydraulic pipe fluid loss

Post by Blackdog »

Hi can anyone help with a diagram of the piping layout on my xantia 1.9td estate as yesterday she emptied all the LHM I know it must be a broken pipe and it is pissing out from next to the fuel tank and the back subframe but I still cant locate it...also is this a garage job or is it going to be possible for me to get a pipe on line and fit it myself..anyhelp would be much appreciated thanks guys.
I.9TD Green xantia estate sx 96.
1.9TD Green xantia estate sx 99.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

All pipes to the tank are at low pressure or gravity so repairs are easily possible.
All of the pipes are pre-moulded shapes so dealer only and probably expensive. Repairs can be done by cutting at the point of burst and inserting a length of rigid metal tube secured with worm drive clips.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would have thought that on a non-hydroactive car, the low pressure pipes at the back of the car would all be very low flow. So a leak fast enough to dump the contents of the LHM tank would have to be from a high pressure pipe.

That does not help much in fixing it, I think we need a better description or picture of where the leak appears to be...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the heavy leak is occurring on the Nearside (Passenger) then theis is where all pipes run, low and high pressure. Look at the subframe and you'll see an (almost) triangular plastic cover. Under here is all the hydraulic pipes going up to the subframe, where they are distributed.

On the top of the subframe (hard to see) is a plastic "Y" piece that is the head of the main leakage return pipe. This carries all leakage returns from the rear and can flow quite appreciably.

Usually it's just popped off.

High pressure leaks are usually rather spectacular, giving jets and sprays of quite some intensity!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

thanks verymuch citrojim thats cheered me up a bit thinking that it could possibly be the y section of plastic pipe as I did see that yesterday but was finding it difficult to really see it anyway now you have told me I will go and remove drivers side rear wheel and see if I can get a better look I really hope it the plastic connector speak to you in a bit.
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

ok here is an update on the leaking pipe...its definately not coming from the plastic return pipes that run along the subframe but from the metal pipe that runs along there along with a black and red electrical one its difficult to see I had to hold a mirror up but tommorow am going to cut a whole through the floor its the only way to get access also I need to take this metal pipe out and replace it if any of you know the best place for me to buy another pipe I would like to hear from you thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, no, don't cut the floor. It's dead easy to drop the subframe an inch or so.

Wheels off, spare wheel and carrier out, support the subframe at each end on jacks, clip off the triangular panel protecting the pipes, undo the four 18mm mounting bolts and gently lower.

You can even run it like this to pinpoint the exact place it's leaking...

Dropping the subframe makes the ABS connectors easy tio get to as well....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

ok citrojim I hear what you are saying and wont cut through the floor thanks for your help