Testing a starter motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Testing a starter motor

Post by Xaccers »

I've got the starter motor off Cassy, and it turns freely in one direction but not the other.
Is there a way to test by bypassing the solenoid?
There's two threaded points on the back, and the flat contact which if memory serves is the solenoid contact.
So, what contacts to I attach the jump leads to without it sparking and blowing up in my face? :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think the turning in one direction only is normal due to the bendix drive gear (if that's what it is called) , as it sort of pops along the shaft to work.

Regarding connecting it:

Secure it firmly somewhere (bolt it down or put it in a vice if possible without damage) , make sure the "teeth" area is not facing you.

The two huge terminals, one will be the original feed to the built in solenoid and the other will be the actual motor feed. Personally I'd use the "normal" one to test it (ideally just use the small thin wire as normal) , you will need the a heavy cable to the one furthest away from the motor (typically the top one, but if in doubt its the one that was originally connected to the car loom, one will not be so and just have a small braided or similar strap)

It will need an earth too (jump lead will make a good earth clamp)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Cheers for that. I think it's totally dead then.
I'd connected one up to the terminal the thick supply from the loom was on, and it the negative jump lead just produced a spark when I connected it, no movement of the motor.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Sometimes, it is just worn brushes that can cause the problem. They can get so worn, they jam in the holder. Might be worth a quick dismantle to see. Depending on the type, the brush holder will be mounted on or near the terminal end and should be fairly obvious to dis-assemble.

If the brushes are worn, it is worth also checking the commutator segments. Ideally, they should be a clean copper colour with minor polishing. If the segment gaps are full of crude, it is worth cleaning these out and giving the segnments a clean up with a bit of sandpaper. Do not use any other sort of abrasive as they will leave deposits that will stop the motor working. If there are any segments that have overheated or the windings look scorched or burnt, or smell burnt, its time for a new motor.

You can usually buy the brushes and holders as a pattern spares kit and it will add a bit more life to the motor.

Do not clean the motor with engine degreaser and never spray it with WD40 or any similar product.

Handyman
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Xac wrote:Cheers for that. I think it's totally dead then.
I'd connected one up to the terminal the thick supply from the loom was on, and it the negative jump lead just produced a spark when I connected it, no movement of the motor.
The way I understand the above you have connected the + to the solenoid post & not to the feed into the starter.

Looking at the picture below....
Connect the + to the terminal that has the red wire connected to it.
Connect the - (neg) to the body of the starter.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer