Xantia losing gearbox oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sv4195
My Cars:

Xantia losing gearbox oil

Post by sv4195 »

Heard a noise like running over a plastic pop bottle, looked in the mirror and saw nothing but then aware of the smell of oil [:(]. Not LHM smell. Seemed to drive OK and no lights so drove home carefully.
Went out later and saw puddle under car and it seemed like transmission oil (and there was a trail down the street [:I]). Checked engine oil but couldn't check LHM as float stuck at top of its travel. Pretty sure its not LHM because its not greenish in any way.
Its at the garage now and mechanic (mate, Joff) and I looked underneath and it is transmission oil; first thoughts were driveshaft oil seal but its coming out of the bellhousing.
Joff says he has known worn Xantia diffs <i>expanding</i> forcing the gearbox casing to crack.
Any ideas or experience anyone while Joff steam cleans and inspects more?
This looks expensive [:(][:(].
mfranklin

Post by mfranklin »

this is my experience with BXs.
The diff has broken and cracked the gearbox casing on the rear of the box.
Answer: New gearbox.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Don't forget the gearbox does not use gearbox oil.
You can purchase the correct oil from andy spares (BV oil)
Let me know what your mechanic finds
Mark
Paxman Power
My Cars:

Post by Paxman Power »

Are we talking about manual gearbox here?
Haynes Manual states that SAE75/80W gear oil is the right stuff for the manual 'box.
It's just that the Haynes Manual for the Xantia isn't the most comprehensive one they've ever done! Have they made a mistake?
Paxman Power
'97 Xantia 19TD, 56K
sv4195
My Cars:

Post by sv4195 »

Gearbox is now on the floor and can be used as a door stop [:(]. The diff collapsed and punched two holes into the bellhousing [xx(]. Apparently the driveshafts were holding it up and when one was released it went clunk.
£350 for an exchange g/box which I can't have as mine has holes in it [:(!]!
Joff has rung round checking ratios etc and we will end up with an E3(?) box from a diesel 306 from our local breakers yard. Fingers crossed eh?
Clutch has been examined and can stay (150K replacement).
What should I be thinking of replacing while the box is out? And can anyone point me to gear and diff ratios for my Xantia and a 306? (will post this on the Peugot forum as well)
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You don't want a box from a n/a diesel because the ratios are slightly lower, you will have more revs on in top gear than you used to have which will up your fuel consumption.
On the other hand that horrible great jump from 2nd to 3rd would be reduced and there would be more get away grunt available for towing if you are a vanner, if not I wouldn't bother with it.
Replace the diff oil seals, check input shaft and crankshaft oil seals, check the intermediate bearing on the righthand d/shaft.
Replace clutch release pivot shaft plastic bushes in bell housing, How many miles has the clutch done.
Dave
c5owner2002
My Cars:

Post by c5owner2002 »

My Xantia did exactly the same - 4 days or so before I was due to hand it in in exchange for a new C5!!!
The deal had been done - I was offered £1350 in part exchange (9 year old 1.8SX with 105,000 miles on clock) Then this!
I told the dealer on the phone that the car had 'started to leak a bit of oil'. I honestly didn't know for sure what had happened, although I knew it was losing gearbox oil because I put in about half a litre! The dealer wasn't really interested - he said it was Ok because they were selling it off through the trade anyway.
I didn't say any more, but on the 'hand over' day I drove the car very gently (70 miles!!) to the dealer - with a little trickle of oil all the way! Parked it in the compound with nose against a wall and hoped they wouldn't see the puddle that was accumulating underneath.
The funny thing was, after the initial 'bang!', the car continued to drive normally without the slightest vibration, noise or anything - just the tell-tale trickle of oil! Weird!
On reading this post though, I can see what had happened.
The dealer has never mentioned any problem with the Xantia and I've been back regularly for servicing on the C5.
Sad really, because I reckon the Xantia was the best car I've ever had - 9 years with never anything major going wrong.....until...!
Graeme
mfranklin

Post by mfranklin »

Ref the gearbox oil;
I don't know if it's the same as the grade that was quoted but I do know that they use a different grade of oil than other gear box's.
Using conventional oil can make the box feel heavy and the gears don't seem to mesh accurately either, I guess it's better to know than not.
CU[:)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mfranklin</i>

this is my experience with BXs.
The diff has broken and cracked the gearbox casing on the rear of the box.
Answer: New gearbox.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Don't forget the gearbox does not use gearbox oil.
You can purchase the correct oil from andy spares (BV oil)
Let me know what your mechanic finds
Mark
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mark,
Out of interests sake, what is the difference between this "BV oil" & normal gearbox oil has anyone ever said??
Alan S
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

See the Peugeot forum for the gear ratios of the NA and TD 306 boxes as requested :-)
HTH
Ross
mfranklin

Post by mfranklin »

I don't know what the technical difference is but maybe I have been slightly unclear?
Although BV oil is gearbox oil, it is much thinner than the normal stuff - not much help really!!
It also smells different too.
I will see if I can find out and get back to you as soon as.
Mark