1.9td xantia running on old cooking oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Jim
Makeing bio is not as dangerus as people may think,
as long as you use a sealed (but vented to outside the work area) reactor and take some sensible steps to protect yourself there are very few accedents (the odd oil spill and the like).

I spent less than £500 building my plant, that included a 7x7 shed to house it (albeit from recycaled timber) and the chemicals for the first 800ltr's.

Lexi
You got out of bio just as I got into it.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Can I assume none of the xantias run the lucas pump?

Just ensure you're running a bosch pump if your going to use cookfat.

CoXen
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

2.1TD's run the Lucas Epic pump and it is possible that there are some 1.9td's out thier with lucas's on but none have ever been reported i think :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm sure one person on here once posted they had an early 1.9TD with a lucas, and the 1.9D's may have had either.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

As Kp will attest........it is all very interesting and good fun. Like any hobby it is time consuming AND this one is messy. Like climbing roofs........take the precautions and add the experience......... then the dangers are lessened. If you have the time and the space and are getting free oil go for it. Even if you only run B50 the savings are good and the Bio need not be perfect (no water or Meth left in of course)

Never been a fan of Veg.........I think BD is better.

I built all my gear for nowt and only paid for chemical.

Epic pumps have been run on good B100 for 30k miles by at least one guy I know of. Not for a beginner and not in winter though . The Bio must be top and pass conversion test consistently.

"The Donk" (1.9td) is the engine of choice. :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

There were quite a few 1.9D's fitted with a Lucas pump, my 93 lx had one, however I ran it with SVO up to 45% in the summer time without problems, I understand that this is the exception not the norm.
My later 1997 1.9D had a BOSCH pump fitted.
I thought all the TD's Xantias were BOSCH except the 2.1.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

The Xantia 2.1td has a Lucas EPIC pump and can be run on bio, but as said before it must be well made bio, and from my esperiance not too dark in couler, as there is an optical sensor inside the pump and dark bio will obsqure it's signal.
This is why I've swaped to a Bosch pump from a 405 1.9td (as all my oil is well used and dark).
The ealier XM 2.1's have a Bosch pump and these are fine on veg oil or bio just like the 1.9td's.

I must say just incase someone is thinking about it, DO NOT run an HDI on VEG oil, there OK on well made bio, but veg will do major damage to the HP pump on an HDI.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

The ealier XM 2.1's have a Bosch pump and these are fine on veg oil or bio just like the 1.9td's
I can verify that! Ive been running the 2.1td on it over winter without any problem!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I ran our 1.9TD on 75% SVO during the summer, but went back to dino-diesel when it started getting chilly. Filling up from 12 x 3L bottles from Sainsbury's was a bit messy, but worth the saving - £2.55 for 3L was 85p/L. Cold starting was noticeably more reluctant.

One thing about SVO and WVO that hasn't been mentioned - you'll leave a strong 'chip-shop' smell behind you (and in the car when you're stationary and the wind's behind!). The ladies of the family started refering to the Xantia as the "chip van".

If I had suitable premises and a source of free WVO, I'd be strongly tempted to make bio-diesel. Personally, I would only use WVO in a 'banger' (so in my book that rules out any road-worthy Xantia!) because you have no idea what in the way of animal fats the original oil has been contaminated with. Fats will increase the viscosity of WVO and will leave all sorts of crud behind as they burn - particularly under light load.

Apparently that the best Veg Oil to use either directly as fuel, or to convert in bio-diesel, is Rape Seed (Canola) Oil. Olive oil would be bad news as straight fuel (readily oxidises to form a varnish).
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Diesels were originally intended to run on palm oil.
Apparently corn oil makes your car smell of popcorn rather than chips :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool