xantia gear cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy007
My Cars:

xantia gear cable

Post by andy007 »

hi
I posted a few days ago regarding my xantia automatic.
One member suggested removal of the airbox to access the joint to manually put it in 'p' mode to start it and have a look at the cable assembly.itrojim replied as follows.....

Yes, you can start the car by removing the airbox to reveal the end of the cable on the gearbox, disconnecting the balljoint on the end of the cable and manually moving the lever into P. With the gearbox end of the cable disconnected, the operation of the cable can be checked. You may just find something has bent, such as the cable end retainer bracket and the cable itself is OK.

My question is.. looking in the engine compartment, the airfilter asmv.. is centre back. I've taken off the cover, 2 screws and 2x clips which laeves me with 90% of the airsystem still in place. Its held down by several bolts.
Are these to be removed as well as it looks a bit more than I anticipated?

Thanks in advance

andy
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Airboxes usually just come out with a hard pull. They sit on rubber bayonet spikes. No need to take element out either. Just undo the airhoses. Grab it and give a very steady pull. Mines comes off in two minutes on the V6.

IIRC my other Xantias were the same. If you are pulling and the veins are sticking out of your neck...............you`ll know it`s bolted :lol: :lol:
Last edited by lexi on 14 Jan 2010, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

On my Series II 16V, the lower hose (air in) is clipped to the airbox through its metal baseplate. Some past gorilla has rent this asunder, rather than working out how to release the clip.
andy007
My Cars:

xantia gearbox

Post by andy007 »

Hi All

I think we are all on different pages regards my xantia.

Like I mentioned in my first post, it M reg. 2ltr auto. There must be a variation on engine design Im unfamiliar with then. Looking at the engine the airbox is almost centre rear to the engine with the oil filler cap lhs integral to the airfilter box. " clips at the reartop, 2 screws level with the plugs. When all these catches are undone, 3/4 of the airbox remains.
There are 10 nuts which hold the rest onto the rocker assmb.
The rhs airbox has the riggid plastic molded bend to a flexi hose running to the front rhs of the engine.

I've just spent the last 2 hours taking all that apart.

I now discover the gearchange mechanism is no where to be found behind the airbox. After extensive tacking of the cable from the underbody I find the cable runs underneath the wiring matix, H-fluid pipes, and a metal plate, to left and just below the battery mount in the rhs of the engine.

Andy
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Andy - possibly there's been a little confusion over your engine ID. My Xantia's a manual TD, so unfamiliar with petrol, but looking at Haynes engine bay pictures, I can follow your descriptions and air filter location.

As you say, maybe using different hymn sheets? Your cable ends near the battery, which sounds logical, as whether manual or auto, that's where the gearbox is going to be located. Nevertheless, I'd expect that checking out the cable as Citrojim suggests will still apply. Hope you track down the problem.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )