C5 - "Speed too high"?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SCGreg
My Cars:

C5 - "Speed too high"?

Post by SCGreg »

Morning all,

Had this when driving in to work this morning, but haven't come across it before. I was doing around 35mph on reasonably dry roads. Outside temperature was 1°c.

I've heard of other cars displaying a similar warning when black ice is present - is that the same for the C5? Strangely, it never came up last week when driving on any ice during the wonderful snowy period.

It's an '02 C5, with NO cruise control (that's the only relevant thing I've managed to come across for this message)

Cheers!

Greg
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

You can set a speed limit on the trip computer, this then warns you 'speed too high' and beeps should you exceed the speed limit which you set on the trip computer.

However it sounds as though you have not set a speed, might be a one off glitch or a problem occuring. It wouldnt warn of speed too high going by temperature, it has to be set into the trip function. Unless you have set it by mistake when trying to reset the trip computer or something.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
SCGreg
My Cars:

Post by SCGreg »

So it's based on the trip computer then, and is nothing to do with something like traction being lost on the rear wheels due to black ice on the roads this morning?

And nope, have definitely not been in the trip computer and set anything!
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Has it only done it once? Might just be a glitch. One of our C5s is set at 80, so when you exceed that it gives a warning on the trip display and a beep.

I wouldnt have thought it would be anything to do with the car having little grip. Might be worth checking in the trip computer to see what its set at.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
SCGreg
My Cars:

Post by SCGreg »

It did it 3 times on the 5 mile journey to work this morning, but other than that it's never come up in the year and a half/2 years I've had the car for
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ah, sounds as though a speed has got into the trip computer, no idea how if you have not set it though. Does it do it at the same speed every time?

One thing you could do is set a higher speed and see if that solves the problem. I forget how you do it exactly now, i think when your driving if you flick through the computer one mode will say speed limiter or similar, press and hold the end of the wiper stalk at your desired speed you want the limiter and see how it goes from there.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
SCGreg
My Cars:

Post by SCGreg »

Will give it a go when I head out later. I can't recall exactly what speed I was doing each time, although chances are it probably was the same for all of the times it alerted me.

Call me naive, but how do I access the options?
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Do you know how to flick through the trip computer options? To get your average MPG etc? You just press in the end of the wiper stalk, small button on the end, the screen in the middle of the dash which shows your radio display etc changes to show you different options. Miles left till tank empty, instant mpg, average mpg, etc.

One option in there is for the speed limiter, but i forget which now. Ill have a look at my C5s later and see how the speed limiter is set, or im sure its in the handbook.

However if the button on the end of the wiper stalk doesnt change anything on the display, then its a common fault for the button on the end of the wiper stalk to stop working. There is a fix you can do yourself to remedy this.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Have same problem. After trying to see if my tempeature, Which read 84 degrees this morning was set to farenhet I pushed the stick end and now have this thing beeping every time t is over 25mph. I am useless with cars. :wink:
C'est pas possible!
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Have you got your car changed to degrees C now Boristhespie? Thats done by using the left button to the felt of the display itself, push and hold that and i think the first option is temperature. Use the button on the right to change the settings and the left to flick through the options :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
SCGreg
My Cars:

Post by SCGreg »

Citroenmad wrote:Do you know how to flick through the trip computer options? To get your average MPG etc? You just press in the end of the wiper stalk, small button on the end, the screen in the middle of the dash which shows your radio display etc changes to show you different options. Miles left till tank empty, instant mpg, average mpg, etc.
Unbelievable, didn't even know holding that down gave any options. Maybe I managed to hit it a few times this morning when I got in the car - I'll check back and report when I leave work.

Cheers!
SCGreg
My Cars:

Post by SCGreg »

Still no luck, didn't get any options when holding down the button on the stalk. What's the fix you mentioned?

Also noticed that it seems to have changed since the journey this morning - it was around 35-40mph that it alerted me, now it's 10mph!
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

SCGreg wrote:Still no luck, didn't get any options when holding down the button on the stalk.

Also noticed that it seems to have changed since the journey this morning - it was around 35-40mph that it alerted me, now it's 10mph!
it should be each press of the right stalk changes the display in the centre. Does this happen? Once you have the over speed display, a press and hold untill you hear a gong should set that speed.
To turn it off completly it I think you had to press and hold on the screen before the overspeed, I think. Its been a while.

Does anyone else drive your car?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
SCGreg
My Cars:

Post by SCGreg »

mooseshaver wrote:
SCGreg wrote:Still no luck, didn't get any options when holding down the button on the stalk.

it should be each press of the right stalk changes the display in the centre. Does this happen? Once you have the over speed display, a press and hold untill you hear a gong should set that speed.
To turn it off completly it I think you had to press and hold on the screen before the overspeed, I think. Its been a while.

Does anyone else drive your car?
Nope, I'm the only driver of it. And no again - pressing the windscreen wiper stalk button toggles the display from outside temperate to time, but nothing further. Holding it down does give me a gong though, but not on any relevant screens.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I just kept pushing and "gong-ing" and now the Too fast warning has gone. (I hope)

Incidentally temperature IS in centigrade. I had 84c yesterday. I swera I was sweltering NOT.
C'est pas possible!